SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rain Sensors - any good?!

Fordos Moon

Not a clue but one question:

Would a rain sensor only tell you when it is raining?

Meaning it is a bit late as the stuff is being rained on.

That question did occur to me as well. Might an alternative be to turn one's face skyward, and if it gets wet, then it's raining?

I have a rain sensor and its excellent in my opinion. I put it on and go to bed, while of course it needs rain to trigger, the buzzer I have rigged up ensures I can get out quickly and shut the roof. I can sleep peacefully knowing my kit will get s few spots on it at most.

I have a rain sensor and its excellent in my opinion. I put it on and go to bed, while of course it needs rain to trigger, the buzzer I have rigged up ensures I can get out quickly and shut the roof. I can sleep peacefully knowing my kit will get s few spots on it at most.

This is what I was after Sara! I read your 2013 thread wondering if something had come out of it. I do spend many an hour in my observatory guys often from teatime til 2/3 in the morning but was looking for an option to go to bed about 2 and keep the stuff going!

Did you get the ebay kit Sara?

This is what I was after Sara! I read your 2013 thread wondering if something had come out of it. I do spend many an hour in my observatory guys often from teatime til 2/3 in the morning but was looking for an option to go to bed about 2 and keep the stuff going!

Did you get the ebay kit Sara?

Yes I got the rain sensor that is linked to in that thread - A buzzer from Maplin and a light switch by my bed. When the roof is open, the rain sensor is on and if it starts to rain I hear a very loud buzzing noise! Switch of the sensor via the switch then go and shut the roof - Hey presto!

Is there not a cloud sensor, when it detects clpouds it would park up the scope and close the roof, there by beating the rain and if there not rain clouds you can't image anyway, when the clouds go away it could open up and restart the imagine.....

There are cloud sensors about yes, but I personally didnt want that level of automation........ It suited me to know that the sound of rain was actually my fridge and I could sleep soundly. It's only buzzed twice......... if it looks like rain, then I dont bother opening up.

Yes I got the rain sensor that is linked to in that thread - A buzzer from Maplin and a light switch by my bed. When the roof is open, the rain sensor is on and if it starts to rain I hear a very loud buzzing noise! Switch of the sensor via the switch then go and shut the roof - Hey presto!

I have one the AAG cloud watcher superb bit of kit.......I run it with ccd autopilot...I will start an imaging run and go to bed...If I'm on nights I will do the same then go to work...Its fine.......It will also park and wait for the clouds to clear then carry on if it clears up.....stunning bit of kit.

Twice recently my kit has been caught out in the rain. The last time a heavy downpour got my laptop worryingly wet and I got raindrops on my primary mirror forcing me to clean it.

So I bought one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-mk108-water-alarm-kit-vx97f?gclid=CJ_rsafegMQCFaIewwodx5AAvA and one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rain-Water-Raindrops-Detection-Sensor-Module-for-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi-/111513351391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f6b6b4df.

I used the maplin water alarm kit and simply replaced the tiny sensor board from the kit with the larger sensor pcb of the raspberry pi module (actually mine contained 2 sensor boards for some reason) to increase the surface area of the sensor. I've soldered 6 metres of speaker cable between the alarm kit and the sensor boards and hey presto I have a rain alarm I put out in the garden far enough from the house to get wet when it rains. I lead the cable through a window into my room where the alarm unit rests. The whole thing's powered by a 9V battery and cost a little over a tenner :)

I tested it tonight and some light rain has just set it off.

I realise this isn't a very sophisticated system but I was very pleased (and quite surprised) to see it worked tonight.

Archived