Narrowband

Filters for the Solar Eclipse

FLO

Needless to say with a solar eclipse on the way (20th March) we are selling a lot of Baader Solar Glasses and AstroSolar Safety Film.  Unfortunately we have just sold out of both but have another delivery arriving next week. 

If you want either of the above in time for the solar eclipse please place your order ASAP and please be prepared to wait a few days. 

Baader-AstroSolar-solar-eclipse-observin

We are also selling rather a lot of Astrozap Solar Filters (they use Baader AstroSolar film for the filter material). Stocks are 'okay' but we have sold out of the one that fits 8" SCT telescopes. Unfortunately because Astrozap have only just returned from the Winter Star Party in the US we might not receive another delivery in time for the eclipse. When ordering an Astrozap solar filter for the eclipse please check the availability indicator (the lorry icon) is green before placing your order. 

HTH, 

Steve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phew, I must have got one of the last 8" SCT solar filters. Ordered about 14:00 yesterday, arrived at work this morning.

I plan using one myself on an 8SE to view the eclipse. Fortunately it looks like Astrozap are going to dispatch a small number ahead of our main order so we should (can't promise) receive more for 8" SCT before the event. If not then I'll buy some AstroSolar film and make one :smile:

Same here :)  If I can get the filter fitted this week it will allow me to get some practice in before the main event, noooo idea how to image in white light so a crash course is in order.... how hard can it be? (famous last words!)

I've ordered some glasses as well for colleagues and me little boy, though Im guessing they will be doing something at school for it.

I would love to know which would be better for my 4se, the film or a ready made filter? If ready made which one?

If by 'ready-made' you mean Astrozap then it uses the same Baader AstroSolar filter material so the optical performance will be identical :smile:

Unfortunately we have sold out of Astrozap filters to fit the 4SE. We have another delivery arriving this month with filters for the 4SE but they have already pre-sold. The delivery after that one might not arrive before the solar eclipse. Sorry. 

If anyone is reading this and plans to buy a solar filter for the eclipse please place your order ASAP because they are selling fast. 

HTH, 

Steve 

If by 'ready-made' you mean Astrozap then it uses the same Baader AstroSolar filter material so the optical performance will be identical :smile:

Unfortunately we have sold out of Astrozap filters to fit the 4SE. We have another delivery arriving this month with filters for the 4SE but they have already pre-sold. The delivery after that one might not arrive before the solar eclipse. Sorry. 

If anyone is reading this and plans to buy a solar filter for the eclipse please place your order ASAP because they are selling fast. 

HTH, 

Steve

Thank you Steve, there is such a big choice of filters there! I'll try and get a Baader film filter to start with

Is the ND3.8 ok for perzval refractors?

I'm tempted to have a go at 6700mm again but at f64 it's a bit faint (using CCD camera) with my current solar filter.

Just looking at the values on this..

ND5 = 0.00001 transmission

ND3.8 = 0.00016 transmission, so 16x the ND5 transmission

So I'm figuring that this will be less than a daytime light levels.. so my guess is that it won't cook the perzval flattener.. 

I have just calculated the same, Nick. 16x more light transmission than the ND5 filter material. I'll play safe and say 'no'. Best not to use it with a Petzval, there is a risk the heat generated will affect the rear element/cell. 

HTH, 
Steve

Anything in yet guys? :)

No, and it's a pain! 

They were dispatched from the distributer yesterday for delivery at our unit today. There is still a chance they will arrive today but not in time to be dispatched. If they arrive tomorrow we'll begin dispatching same-day.

Sales of Baader Solar Glasses have gone through the roof! It feels like we are the Baader Solar Glasses store!  :coffee:

Steve

I have just calculated the same, Nick. 16x more light transmission than the ND5 filter material. I'll play safe and say 'no'. Best not to use it with a Petzval, there is a risk the heat generated will affect the rear element/cell. 

:icon_salut: will stick with the ND5.0. The 1TB storage drive arrived so no short runs.. just continuous capture :D

We are fast becoming overwhelmed with orders for Baader Solar Eclipse Glasses  :coffee:

We have secured as many as possible (thousands!) and our website limits individual orders to only 25x maximum (to prevent schools emptying our shelves) but at the current rate we will probably sell out before the weekend. 

We are not alone, other retailers are in the same situation, so regardless of where you shop if you want some for the eclipse please place your order ASAP. 

Also, it takes us almost as long to process an order for a pair of glasses as it does a telescope so apologies if we are a little later than usual responding to enquiries or dispatching other orders. 

Thank-you for your patience, 
Steve

Hi Steve looking to get an astrozap to fit apm152 refractor , it's 186mm dew shield, any idea if either 3a or 15 model would fit?

The 15 is too large and the 3a is out of stock. Sorry  :blush:

Have you considered making one from Baader AstroSolar film

Alternatively you can order one from Baader's website. It is an expensive option (Astrozap use the exact same Astrosolar filter material) but if you want a ready-made solar filter for your APM-152 before the eclipse it might be your only option. 

HTH, 

Steve 

We are fast becoming overwhelmed with orders for Baader Solar Eclipse Glasses  :coffee:

We have secured as many as possible (thousands!) and our website limits individual orders to only 25x maximum (to prevent schools emptying our shelves) but at the current rate we will probably sell out before the weekend. 

We have temporarily sold out of Baader Solar Eclipse Glasses but are expecting another delivery Friday. To ensure we don't over-sell we will make them available again after the delivery has arrived and is ready for dispatch. Thank-you for your understanding. 

Steve

Archived