SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera settings for Jupiter

Hi everyone, I could really use some advice on imaging.

At the moment i'm using a 4" Meade Go To Refractor and I recently bought a Celestron Solar System Imager. When i'm trying to capture Jupiter any video I capture seems very washed out with very little contrast. Processing in Registax doesn't seem to be doing much because i'm barely capturing any detail in the first place, i'm pretty sure my settings are just wrong in Sharpcap & iCap.

Would really appreciate any advice.  :smiley:

I'm using the standard settings in Sharpcap & iCap, changing various settings like gain, contrast & frame rate etc. I know there are lots of variable factors but I wondered if someone could share what settings they are using, this might point me in the right direction. If the weather holds out I will give it a go tonight and post an image. Thanks for the quick replies!  :smiley:

I'm having the same problem as you, my scope is a skywatcher 130 explorer, I use the Barlow that came with it and can't get any real detail. Could be the focus isn't spot on but I'm no expert. This is a unedited frame off what I got on the video.

Is what your getting kind of the same as mine?post-41658-0-77190700-1425209904.jpg

Hi,

I've been using an Explorer 130P with a SPC900 webcam and a x2.5 barlow. This is an example of my SharpCap settings for a 3 minute capture:

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=10.00
Colour Space / Compression=YUY2
Exposure=-5
Brightness=57
Contrast=32
Saturation=50
Gamma=0
ColorEnable=255
BacklightCompensation=0
Gain=0
Attached is the image captured and processed. I suspect you'll need to change them to suit your set up, but they may help. Focusing is important, but sometimes the seeing just isn't up to it. Good luck!

post-26939-0-83420600-1425253140.jpg

Hi,

I've been using an Explorer 130P with a SPC900 webcam and a x2.5 barlow. This is an example of my SharpCap settings for a 3 minute capture:

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-5

Brightness=57

Contrast=32

Saturation=50

Gamma=0

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=0

Attached is the image captured and processed. I suspect you'll need to change them to suit your set up, but they may help. Focusing is important, but sometimes the seeing just isn't up to it. Good luck!

That is a really nice photo!!! I've been using my phone to capture the videos from webcam as I get told off for running extension leads through the window! Apparently letting all the heat out is more important than me getting a nice shot of Jupiter. (My laptop battery is dead) really don't want to buy a new one. But that's another story!

Still loving the image!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I have recently upgraded my camera to a Celestron NexImage 5, that paired with a little more experience is giving me better results! These images were taken with a 90mm Refractor and the NexImage 5, untracked with manual controls.

Thanks for the info everyone, I haven't been on here in a while but very much appreciate it! :)post-39973-0-97400800-1430447530_thumb.ppost-39973-0-23170300-1430447545_thumb.p

I'm using a Meade Infinity 90mm at the moment with manual controls, I don't have that telescope anymore. Maybe one day I will splash out on a Celestron NexStar or similar telescope. I might try out my Barlow next time, though I'm sure it will be challenging without tracking. Thanks for the comment, any advice is always appreciated!  :smiley:

Hi, I'm at the same stage as you. This shot was taken through my Skywatcher 150P. 1500 frames manually tracked and stacked. I have just got my 200P and I'm waiting for the EQ5 to arrive. I've also just ordered a Canon EOS 1000D so hopefully my images will improve!

JUpiter.bmp

Archived