Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Barlow 3x ?

redgoblin

I currently have a Revelation Astro 2x Barlow which is pretty decent. I'm now looking to add a 3x Barlow to my EP collection but am currently unsure. I know the TAL 3x Barlow was a favourite with most but seems very difficult to get hold of these days. Budget is around the £50-70 range but can be pushed if it's worth paying a bit extra for proper quality. Any recommendations?

I had the 2.5mm Revelation Astro Barlow, but found it a little to powerful for my needs on the Skyliner. I replaced my Barlow with the Skywatcher Deluxe 2x which also had the ability to attach to adaptors for some Astro-photo use. What I did like though was the recommendation that the lens cell could be used alone, which is what often happens, giving me a factor of about 1.6x Barlow.

If you feel the 2x is ok, then no reason to doubt the ability of the 3x Barlow. Using a Barlow introduces another lens (or more) into the optical train, some folk would favour just another eyepiece, ( but the total sum of glass may still  be the same ) also Barlow's can introduce aberrations if you can detect them.?

Have you considered a  Televue Powermate?

The Revelation 2.5x barlow is pretty good for it's cost. Another good one is the Antares 3x barlow which has nice Japanese optics. It's probably only available on the used market now.

If you are using it for visual remember not to overpower your scope though.

The Meade Telextenders are really good but more expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meade-3x-1-25-5000-Series-Tele-extender-barlow-Lens-/301534516077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4634db936d

You can expect close to Tele Vue Powermate performance with one of those.

It would be interesting to know what scope you have and why you want a 3x barlow. In my early days (not so ling ago) of my rekindled interest in astronomy, I was lured down the path of  "more magnification" and bought a 3x Barlow (coincidentally an Antares). I quickly realised that more magnification was not the be all and end all, in fact I found that for me it was the opposite,  and forgive the cliche', that frequently " less was more", so consequently my 3x Barlow very rarely sees light now.

If you can find one, go for a 2.8x Klee Barlow. Here is a review http://www.avastronomyclub.org/docs/dso/2004/DSO_11_04.pdf

When I purchased mine several years ago at Astrofest '99, I think, I bumped into a member from the astro society I belong too and asked him for his advice. He told me, 'Buy it! They are very good.' He was a bit miffed though... it was the last one the dealer had in stock as he was going to buy one too.

Thanks guys - i'll check out the Televue Powermate EP's.

I've got a Skywatcher 130P - if there's any specific 2.5x or 3x Barlows recommended for that scope I'm all ears :) The Televues look like a good starting point ... 

I like my Tele Vue 3× Barlow so much, I just bought a used TV 2×.

Then to compare with my Orion Shorty Plus 2×...and rehome one or the other. Should be an interesting session or two :)

The TV3 is just lovely in use - pretty much disappears. One day I'll save up for a Powermate, but until then...

Smaller though it was, I could see "more" of Jupiter without my X2.5 Barlow, perhaps the sky conditions were not great but I got more detail without increasing mag.

Yep - backing off the power freqently shows the surface detail on Jupiter rather better  :smiley: 

Just noticed BST Starguider 3x Barlows are available for around £70. These have 4 elements according to the description - wonder if anyone has used these as the Starguider EP's in general seem to have good reputation?

Archived