SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar Alignment question

Just a quick, and probably very obvious question regarding polar alignment. When doing this with my mount, I have the mount in the home position, I.e, the scope is pointing roughly North at Polaris. After completing the polar alignment, should Polaris be in the field of view of the scope (I know Polaris should be in the correct position of the polar scope), or does this not matter?

Cheers,

Dave :)

Hi

Not necessarily - it will depend on the fov of your scope. That's because Polaris is actually some distance from the celestial pole. If you have Stellarium, you can check the relative positions of pole/Polaris. I quick try with Stellarium and putting in your Altair/Atik data suggests that Polaris should indeed be within your FOV - if you're pointing close to the pole...

Hope that helps.

Louise

Just a quick, and probably very obvious question regarding polar alignment. When doing this with my mount, I have the mount in the home position, I.e, the scope is pointing roughly North at Polaris. After completing the polar alignment, should Polaris be in the field of view of the scope (I know Polaris should be in the correct position of the polar scope), or does this not matter?

Cheers,

Dave :)

Remember, it's your mount you are aligning with the Earth's axis not your scope. Once your mount is aligned correctly with the celestial pole, putting your scope in the home position will (should) then align your scope with the mount. Then as Louise says Polaris is 41 arc minutes away from the celestial pole so depending upon the FOV of your scope it may or may not appear in the Field.

A question about aligment. Will a three star alignment after a polaraligmnet, ajust a not so correct polar alignment. Let us say that I just sweep the mount in so that I have Polaris in the polarfinder, but instead of puttin it the ring, I put it in the center. Then I do a three star aligment. Will this adjust the error I did at the begining?

Or is it deadly important to align polaris in the ring, wich must be adjusted corrsponding to the hours after passing zenit?

Brg

Claus

Claus,

A three star alignment will do nothing to correct your poor polar alignment. To correct poor polar alignment you need to adjust the altitude and/or azimuth knobs on the mount; to perform a three star alignment you only use the handset to alter where the telescope is pointing, not altering where the RA axis of the mount is pointing

Dave, it depends whether you're doing visual or imaging.

If you're imaging, poor polar alignment = poor tracking = elongated stars.

If you're visual, the 3 star will compensate for your polar alignment and get you close on goto's, but as above may not keep the object in the FOV for long.

Michael

Archived