Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4.5 compact travel scope for hiking

astrolunartick

It looks excellent, I like the way the ota folds flat, did it work well under the stars?  

I've got a 130p heritage mirror set that I plan on making a travel scope from, I'll probably use a giro type mount on a lightweight tripod though, so I only need to make the ota small enough to fit into a rucksack.

James.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of something like this for my 4.5 busnell eq, do you have any measurement plans for it Pete ?

think it would work well with a bigger glass also, very nice work.

Rick M

Thinking of something like this for my 4.5 busnell eq, do you have any measurement plans for it Pete ?

think it would work well with a bigger glass also, very nice work.

Rick M

Hi Rick  I don't mind measuring anything you require.  what Focal ratio is your 4.5 busnell? 

I was trying to find a 1.25 inch Helical focuser as i thought it might make it a little lighter and simpler. 

Pete 

It looks excellent, I like the way the ota folds flat, did it work well under the stars?  

I've got a 130p heritage mirror set that I plan on making a travel scope from, I'll probably use a giro type mount on a lightweight tripod though, so I only need to make the ota small enough to fit into a rucksack.

James.

Hi James 

It did work well. moves well on both axis. although it being so light it blows about if the wind picks up at all. But i think most scopes do that. 

hey Pete,

my 4.5 bushnell is a F-8, but I am pretty sure I can get by just looking at your setup when

the time comes, gotta say again, very impressive and inspirational just to look at, the fast setup

would make it well worth the while.

Rick M

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a few photos from my trip to the Brecon Beacons to observe the Partial eclipse.

I spent all week obsessively watching the weather and figured that the best place would be up on the Brecon Beacons. I packed My 4.5 compact dob a tent and sleeping bag and left on Thursday lunch time. Several buses,trains,tubes and a 5mile hike later . I found myself up by Pen Y Fan. Snow on the ground was a surprise. Got a couple of hours observing in at night. It was clear and seeing was good. Couldn't help think what it would be like to have my 10 inch dob up there or even more so the 20 inch im building. Imagine that! Anyway the 4.5 is fun to use and gives as good a performance as any 4.5 Newtonian. On Friday morning woke to find a thick frost on the tent and clear skies and me with a big grin on my face. Set up the scope and put the solar filter and solar finder i made on the scope and from previous observations know that my 15mm 58degree TMB clone eyepiece would give a nice field of view for the sun. The Partial eclipse was stunning i spent time watch it with solar glasses and also through the scope. I had 2 pairs of solar glasses ones i had made myself and a pair i got from the sky at night magazine. The sky at night ones gave the sun an orange appearance which took some getting use to as im so familiar with solar white light filters. The scope performed well. I tried to capture the eclipse with my Phone camera down the eyepiece. but sadly forgot to adjust the ISO in the settings so i got alot of lens glare i think a ND filter may help too. All in all a successful trip and im please i got to observe it. 

post-5432-0-52706300-1426930071_thumb.jp

post-5432-0-63587700-1426930133_thumb.jp

post-5432-0-74957900-1426930182_thumb.jp

post-5432-0-01631500-1426930203_thumb.jp

post-5432-0-73491500-1426930231.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived