SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seeking Other Deep-End-Divers

Liquid360

I've read through these forums, posting rarely, for the past year. I'm not seeking any advice or knowledge, but am curious to find others walking a similar path. I began a couple years ago with a Meade 10in LX90ACF. I toyed with it for a year before deciding AP was were I wanted to be. I sold it and purchased my current gear and never looked back or doubted my choices. I'd like to chat with others currently dealing with the seriously steep learning curve. I've exhausted all of my local clubs and universities and thought I'd post here. Anybody at a similar phase in the AP game?

c729beade53856d02777d8c85bc2f1be.jpg0688507221b06ca953d4c79759d893a9.jpg

Rarely posted? With a 500 post count? :D

I reckon that we are always learning, whether it be learning new processing, software or hardware. Sometimes that curve can seem steep, but I think that if you break it down into bite size chunks it becomes less daunting. Do you have any specific things that you feel you need help with or something that you are finding difficult? I'm sure that there are folks on hand who would be able to help.

I haven't posted in a long while anyways [emoji6] I'm not having any problems so to speak. Just seeking others who may have jumped in as I did.... kindred spirits if you will. Perhaps this isn't the right place for such things, but you never know till you ask.

Start with something big and bright i.e the Great Orion Nebula.

With 10 sec subs you should be able to get a decent image. Get your PA, focusing and image capture nailed.

Forget autoguiding, plate solving, pointing models, pec and everything else until you can track and focus. Then add a new element to the mix one at a time.

I'm not seeking any advice or knowledge, but am curious to find others walking a similar path...Anybody at a similar phase in the AP game?

Hi Liquid360

How far have you got with AP so far? Have you managed to take any subs yet or are you still on the first rung of the ladder? It's not clear to me what you are after, since you say you are not seeking advice or knowledge! Impressive AP kit you have there so it looks like your hardware needs are covered.

Regards

John

I feel like I've dived straight in. No research already upgraded the mount (after less than 6 weeks!) now trying guiding, FITS liberating, OSC rgb separating, photoshop stretching and loads more to boot! Learnt more in 2 months AP than I've needed to in years of photography!! 

Trying to piece together all the tips and advice has been a nightmare. So many books, blogs, youtube vids, thank god for forums!

I must make some notes and compile an idiots guide at some point!

That's some serious equipment you've got there...! Anyway, with you on this one - facing a steep learning curve due to my stubborn nature of "i can do this, and if I can't - i'll figure it out" but have to say I enjoy it as every, even the tiniest step forward, is so rewarding for me.

That's some serious equipment you've got there...! Anyway, with you on this one - facing a steep learning curve due to my stubborn nature of "i can do this, and if I can't - i'll figure it out" but have to say I enjoy it as every, even the tiniest step forward, is so rewarding for me.

Just echoing this. The first time you get guiding to work, the first time you take a picture or see a planet. The first time the wife says 'Why don't you get another telescope'......although I might of dreamt that last one.

Archived