Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Atic camera !st light

Stardust

I'd decided to move up from a DSLR to an Atik camera and was set on a 460. I had a manual filter wheel and intended to use that.  I went through my thought process with Steve Chambers who agreed but said have you considered the One,  I hadn't, it sounded expensive. The show price had a £163 discount plus a set of Baader LRGB which I was set to buy anyway. It didn't take long to realise it was only going to be another 200 quid and get the built in filter wheel and a slightly better camera, though not sure I'll need the extra cooling in the UK. I said ok and went away a proud new owner.

I spent the next day getting used to the software and camera during daylight and looking at the useful getting started videos on the Atik website.

All set up and ready to go, focussed and went for the Rosette as I'd recently shot this with my 1100D in HA so would make a good comparison.

I used my newly acquired Baader HA filter for 19x10 min exposures no calibration frames and I think it's fair to say that I'm a very happy bunny and looking forward to spending a lot of time with this camera.

After this one session I'm so glad I was pointed in this direction. I'm sure I would have been just as pleased with a 460 but I can already see the benefit of the electric filter wheel.

A very happy Atik owner

post-195-0-30125600-1423518674_thumb.jpg

thanks guys, love the camera though has become a very expensive paper weight this week, raining as I type. The QSI will be superb.

Olly - I have marvelled at your images and did think a OSC would have been for me but I do like the narrow band and extended imaging chances it brings. I have taken on board about mono and decided it is the way to go. Don't as yet know how to combine an RGB image :icon_redface: as this is my first mono camera for that purpose but will learn, there's plenty of info out there. I think you have come up in a lot of posts whilst I've been searching.

So looking forward to getting the OIII to go with this HA data

thanks guys, love the camera though has become a very expensive paper weight this week, raining as I type. The QSI will be superb.

Olly - I have marvelled at your images and did think a OSC would have been for me but I do like the narrow band and extended imaging chances it brings. I have taken on board about mono and decided it is the way to go. Don't as yet know how to combine an RGB image :icon_redface: as this is my first mono camera for that purpose but will learn, there's plenty of info out there. I think you have come up in a lot of posts whilst I've been searching.

So looking forward to getting the OIII to go with this HA data

I use Astro Art. It's really difficult.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  You open your R, G and B, go to Image Align All and choose Translation and Rotation, then you open Trichromy, put red in the red box, green in the green box etc and press auto white balance and click OK. And there's your RGB image. Hey, even I can do it... :eek:

Olly

We upgraded from a DSLR to an Atik 460 EX and were also over-the-moon with it. Such a difference...

Your Rosette is a lovely image. I'm ensure you'll enjoy your camera for a very long while

Clear skies :)

Archived