Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky safari pro doubles

I was looking at a few doubles in Gemini last night before the scope froze over.

As it's cloudy tonight I have been jotting down a few more to look at another time, when i noticed that sky safari (android version) doesn't seem to show some of the double elements. For example 63 Gem only shows A but no sign of B (43" separation) - why is that? Is it because i don't have the software set up correctly or is it just not in the database or is it hiding under another name?

Does the Haas book have small charts showing the separation positions? (Its nice to have some confirmation you have viewed the correct stars)

The book lists the mags of the components, the separation and the PA (position angle). All you need to do with your scope is to work out where N, E, S and W lie as PA 90 is E, PA 180 is S etc.

Chris

I was looking at a few doubles in Gemini last night before the scope froze over.

As it's cloudy tonight I have been jotting down a few more to look at another time, when i noticed that sky safari (android version) doesn't seem to show some of the double elements. For example 63 Gem only shows A but no sign of B (43" separation) - why is that? Is it because i don't have the software set up correctly or is it just not in the database or is it hiding under another name?

I take it you mean that when you zoom in on the star, which is supposed to be double, the secondary star doesn't come into view. There seems to be quite a few like that, Rigel being another one.

I'm using Skysafari plus and tbh the double star side of things is a little confusing, or it could just be me.

Gem 20 appears to be listed as gem 21.

Paul

Archived