Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lollipop Cellphone Astrophotography (Nexus 5)

Hello everybody,

First, my apologies if I have started this topic in the wrong place. I am a new comer to the forums, forgive me.

Having had my 8" dob for several months now, and wanting to share my visual experience with others (who weren't willing to brave the late cold winter nights), I of course turned to afocal AP, isn't this how it always starts :) ?

I have seen some pretty amazing iPhone captures on the web that really motivated me. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a Nexus 5 running the latest android (Lollipop). The main obstacle for doing AP with your cellphone camera is that typically the cellphone camera software does not allow control of ISO, Exposure or Focus. Further, the maximum exposure is limited by the hardware (typically no more than 0.83 seconds), so deep space AP is a challenge if not impossible.

I have found a free app called "L Camera", that allows for complete control of ISO, Exposure, and Focus (requires Lollipop). Further it features a 30 FPS, 7 frame burst mode (continuous bulb mode update coming), along with DNG format raw output. It also allows for full resolution video at 30 FPS (compressed), and even up-to 120 FPS with some hacking to the system files (requires root). You can find the app here: https://github.com/PkmX/lcamera.

With a simple DIY phone adapter, and a Bluetooth mouse for touch free control, I was able to get some decent results in very little time. A few comments on the advantages of this app with my setup:

• The large resolution at the high frame rate allows for decent FPS with a wide field, which is very handy when "lucky imaging" using the "drift method" on a manual dob.
  • The DNG output allows for much more effective post-processing of the data.
  • The burst mode with the DNG output at 30 FPS essentially allows essentially a raw video format to be outputted, something you typically only get with AP designed webcams.

I have included a few examples of my first batch of results. It is hoped that this will inspire others to give this a shot:

1. The first example is a single frame raw DNG of the moon. Post-processed quickly in Camera RAW and Photoshop CS6.
  2. The second example is of Jupiter. This is a stack of 7 DNG frames (burst mode). Post-processed quickly in Camera RAW, stacked with AutoStakkert, wavelets in Registax, and Post-processed quickly in Photoshop CS6. The moons are from a single frame overlaid to make a composite.
  3. Third example is also of Jupiter. This is stack of 50% frames from a 17 second full resolution 30 FPS movie (below average seeing). Stacked with AutoStakkert, wavelets in Registax, and Post-processed quickly in Photoshop CS6. Again, the moons are from a single frame overlaid to make a composite.
post-41811-0-18160900-1422823121_thumb.j
post-41811-0-76047500-1422823264_thumb.j
post-41811-0-69413700-1422823277_thumb.j

I am pretty new at this, so I am sure with time and practice, and better eyepieces/focusing/seeing things can improve significantly. I am curious how seasoned planet imagers with proper tracking and longer video/burst captures might achieve.

At the very least, hope others find this information useful, and that this motivates others with manual visual equipment to try their hands at some AP!

post-41811-0-18160900-1422823121_thumb.j

post-41811-0-76047500-1422823264_thumb.j

post-41811-0-69413700-1422823277_thumb.j

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am relatively new to AP myself, so I don't know if I qualify as a mentor compared to the rest of the people on these forums, haha.

Which telescope are you using? For a quick introduction to taking and processing planetary imaging using an alt-az or dobsonian, check Bliss's excellent guide here (PDF in 1st post):

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/176799-planet-astrophotography-with-a-manual-dobsonian-tutorial/

Also, have a go at imaging the moon, it is easier, can get good results without stacking, a good way to get started!

There is no way around it, you simply have to convert it. If you use the L camera app you get Mp4s)

The autostakkert beta 2.3.0.21 will auto convert Mp4s and MOVs when you load it, provided you place FFmpeg.exe in the same directory as autostakkert.exe. It may also work for 3gp. I have used it with Mp4s with no problems.

Note that castrator can handle Mp4s directly (and maybe 3gp), and outputs avi's that can be used in autostakkert.

here is the version I have used for autostakkert auto conversion: http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/AutoStakkert_2.3.0.21.zip

you can get ffmpeg here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Try the L camera app, it really makes things simpler.

Hey doc...

Tried a video clip

But alas all I get is a white blob

And no details....

I am not even able to get the frame I got before tried all exposure bracketing and ISO... But just could not get it

I had a webcam... A CMOS one tried to get a video with that too but it's just the white blob...

Ah, I see. Try it with a clamp. I was amazed how much better an image is when properly centered with no shake using a clamp (DIY or other).

Though I would imagine with an ASI120MC you probably are not very motivated to bother, haha.

Agreed , but its still a fun challenge [emoji3]

Hey doc...

Tried a video clip

But alas all I get is a white blob

And no details....

I am not even able to get the frame I got before tried all exposure bracketing and ISO... But just could not get it

I had a webcam... A CMOS one tried to get a video with that too but it's just the white blob...

If you are using the L Camera, make sure the Auto exposure is off (greyed out position, not green) under settings. You should be able to then change the exposure settings, try ISO 800 and 1/125 and go from there.

My Z3 takes quite nice pictures of the Moon, and I managed to get some of the M42 "dust" to show up - but I have to say those photos of Jupiter you took are shocking... as in so good for a cellphone camera. Great work!

My Z3 takes quite nice pictures of the Moon, and I managed to get some of the M42 "dust" to show up - but I have to say those photos of Jupiter you took are shocking... as in so good for a cellphone camera. Great work!

Thanks! Maybe I will do a write-up of the technique once I have got it as good as I would like.

There is no way around it, you simply have to convert it. If you use the L camera app you get Mp4s)

The autostakkert beta 2.3.0.21 will auto convert Mp4s and MOVs when you load it, provided you place FFmpeg.exe in the same directory as autostakkert.exe. It may also work for 3gp. I have used it with Mp4s with no problems.

Note that castrator can handle Mp4s directly (and maybe 3gp), and outputs avi's that can be used in autostakkert.

here is the version I have used for autostakkert auto conversion: http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/AutoStakkert_2.3.0.21.zip

you can get ffmpeg here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Try the L camera app, it really makes things simpler.

Hey Doc...

I tried getting Ffmpeg from the site you mentioned but was not able to get the right file...

It will be very kind of you if you could send a link to the right file

Thanks

Archived