Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD PulseGuide errors

chris_suffolk

Trying to persuade Backyard EOS, EQMOD (through Cartes-du-Ciel) and PHD to talk to each other through a USB hub

It all seems to work, except for PHD. PHD can see the mount and the guide cam, and gets an image when I loop, but when I try to send the mount a command (even manually in the tools menu) I just get a PulseGuide error and nothing happens.

I'm assuming PHD can't send the commands via the ASCOM drivers for some reason (it's fine when it uses its' own dedicated USB port on the laptop) - so is it just a configuration issue? Do I need updated drivers (though from what I can see everything is bang up-to-date (all drivers and software)) or is there some other setting I need to change to get it to work? I had to alter the DCOM port in Cartes-de-Ciel (to enable it to launch EQMOD) so do I need something similar for PHD, though I can't find any menus to allow ports to be specified.

Any help appreciated, especially if you use a similar set-up

Chris

Trying to persuade Backyard EOS, EQMOD (through Cartes-du-Ciel) and PHD to talk to each other through a USB hub

It all seems to work, except for PHD. PHD can see the mount and the guide cam, and gets an image when I loop, but when I try to send the mount a command (even manually in the tools menu) I just get a PulseGuide error and nothing happens.

I'm assuming PHD can't send the commands via the ASCOM drivers for some reason (it's fine when it uses its' own dedicated USB port on the laptop) - so is it just a configuration issue? Do I need updated drivers (though from what I can see everything is bang up-to-date (all drivers and software)) or is there some other setting I need to change to get it to work? I had to alter the DCOM port in Cartes-de-Ciel (to enable it to launch EQMOD) so do I need something similar for PHD, though I can't find any menus to allow ports to be specified.

Any help appreciated, especially if you use a similar set-up

Chris

Just a long shot but have made sure that EQMOD is not trying to guide at the same time? Worth a try I'd say.

A.G

EQMOD is set to pulse, and fairly sure it's not a conflict on guiding as it works using seperate usb ports.

Given that the board in the laptop physically shares the bandwidth between usb ports (as do all laptops) it shoudn't make any difference using a hub and the traffic requirements will be pretty small anyway. My guess is a config issue where the software can't find the scope because it's on a different port or internal address, but not sure how to test this theory, nor what to do about it if it is.

Does nobody use a hub in their setup? At least then I would know it's techically possible to do .

EQMOD is set to pulse, and fairly sure it's not a conflict on guiding as it works using seperate usb ports.

Given that the board in the laptop physically shares the bandwidth between usb ports (as do all laptops) it shoudn't make any difference using a hub and the traffic requirements will be pretty small anyway. My guess is a config issue where the software can't find the scope because it's on a different port or internal address, but not sure how to test this theory, nor what to do about it if it is.

Does nobody use a hub in their setup? At least then I would know it's techically possible to do .

Hi

It can make a big difference! A hub shares the bandwidth of a single usb port between whatever is connected on the output. Whereas separate usb ports on a laptop each have their own bandwidth. Most things are low bandwidth but guide cams are high bandwidth and prefer a dedicated usb port. I run my avx mount with a hub that carries the guide cam (qhy5l-ii mono) and a pulse guiding cable. But it won't also handle the imaging cam (1100d) which has to be on a separate port. This is also true if using usb 3 ports (which I do) as they only run at usb 2 speeds with usb 2 devices. You also have to distinguish between 'full speed' (12Mbits/s) and 'high speed' (480Mbits/s) usb 2 ports on older laptops. USB connections seem to cause more trouble than anything with guiding/imaging!

Louise

A friend of mine uses a hub and successfully guides.

However, he can't use apt on the hub at the same time.

There does appear to be a lot of problems associated with bulking all the signals on the same hub.

Because modern pcs use their resources differently, com ports seem to get confused more easily.

As an aside, I've had a lot of problems trying to use remote control.

UNTIL I FOUND OUT MICROSOFT DON'T PUT IT ON THEIR "HOME" VERSION.

I was vexed to say the least.

I think PHD just sends EQMOD additonal (correction) signals, it doesn't guide the mount directly - stand to be corrected on that one though.

You might be correct, I always have this picture of the GPUSB in my mind that you do not have.

A.G

My set up is as follows:

PHD 2

APT

Cartes Du Ceil

Canon 1000D

Meade DSI - guide camera

Eqmod ( serial ) -  due to death of pc will now have to use usb->serial adaptor on the laptop - not tested in anger yet.

All cables run though 1.5" piping from the pc to the scope:-

240v Mains

Serial for eqmod

Active USB extension cable - at least 5m long. runs from pc to powered hub at the mount

The hub then has the Canon, DSI and a game pad joystick connected with 1 spare port.

Works for me.

Rob

A friend of mine uses a hub and successfully guides.

However, he can't use apt on the hub at the same time.

There does appear to be a lot of problems associated with bulking all the signals on the same hub.

Because modern pcs use their resources differently, com ports seem to get confused more easily.

As an aside, I've had a lot of problems trying to use remote control.

UNTIL I FOUND OUT MICROSOFT DON'T PUT IT ON THEIR "HOME" VERSION.

I was vexed to say the least.

Remote Desktop is supposed to run as long as one machine is Win7 Pro but I never managed to make it work

Dave

On the EQMOD screen what have you got the ASCOM pulse guide settings set to? I found I had to set mine to 0.5x before guiding would function correctly.

I am confused about the descriptions. There is no talking between units over USB. I have always run everything off the same USB cable to the computer. The bandwidth is throttles so there should be no conflicts taking place.

PHD should have ASCOM as telescope connection. EQMOD is a local server driver implementation so it can take several clients. PHD will issue the ASCOM command PulseGuide, like this:

PulseGuide(GuideDirection.guideNorth, 225);

Which makes EQMOD drive the DEC axis of the mount north at the current guide rate for 225 milliseconds.

/per

Archived