SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8SE - Autoguiding

Evening All

I have managed to get out a few times in recent weeks and am getting the hang of the scope. Managed some pictures of Jupiter last weekend. I need to get a new star pointer as the Celestron supplied one is a bit temperamental and fancy something a bit better if anyone can recommend anything.

Main question is probably a very simple and daft one! Once I have auto-aligned the scope using the Sky Align software and then guided to something such as Jupiter, will the scope continue to stay with the target and track it as best it can or does it only do the initial 'find' and then needs me to be re-point every so often?

I ask because I couldn't get it to align last week, I was rushing a bit because of cloud coverage so I think I had the time-zone incorrect as it was pointing at the wrong part of the sky. I manually found Jupiter but had to keep manually driving to hold onto it.

Thanks for the continued help.

Simon

Once you have done the Star Align the scope will continue to track anything you point it at.

Mistracking, failing to align - I'm not totally familiar with the 8 (I have the 4), but if it runs off batteries get rid of them and buy an external power source. Once the voltage drops ( due to the cold or use) the Nexstar will do allsorts of crazy things.

Neil.

Archived