SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron CPC 800 GPS vs NexStar 8 Evolution

Hi, 

I'm looking into upgrading my current skywatcher 200P Dobsonian and are looking into the Celestron computerized scopes. I've heard very good things about both the CPC 800 GPS (XLT)  and NexStar 8 Evolution. 

I was wondering what one I should go for? Both are around the £1500 price range and both seem to be very good telescopes. 

Thanks in advance.

Adam (WG655) 

Hi Adam, I can't comment on the Evo 8 as I've not used one and only read about them but from my own personal perspective I absolutely love my CPC 800!

The CPC is a dual fork arm mount as opposed to the single arm Evo so the CPC will be more stable especially when it comes to focusing and if the conditions are a touch windy.

Whatever scope you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Paul

It's probably better for lunar/planetary imaging using a webcam or planetary camera like the QHY5L-II (what I have) or the ASI's. Proper astrophotography, you will need a wedge with Celestron do and is achievable but is hard work by all accounts due to the slow f10 focal ratio.

I'm not really up on that side of things and I mainly just do visual and planetary imaging.

Paul

Archived