Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many scopes !!!

Pig

I remember the days when I was insistent that one scope at a time was enough for me..... and here I am a few years down the road with 3 scopes currently in my possession and a further 3 have come and gone.

If that is not enough I still feel the urge to buy a 12" Dob and no doubt that will lead to an increased eyepiece population. No doubt one of them will be an Ethos :smiley:

The delivery of my Quark is now  T minus 2 days :sad:  (its late) and is going to be another 5 days at least

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is Gerry I have is I just got a ridiculously large bonus in my pay packet... very unexpected indeed :shocked:  so it may be sooner rather than later especially as Dobs appear to be very good value for money :laugh:

It certainly does Avtar,

Eyepeices also have this luring effect and before one knows it there is enough equipment around the house to open a small shop :laugh:

know the feeling, just ordered a Hyperion 24mm for the 150pl as the Baader Zoom 24mm setting is only 50* and I needed a bit more.

I always seem to find some excuse for getting another eyepiece

Avtar

The problem is Gerry I have is I just got a ridiculously large bonus in my pay packet... very unexpected indeed :shocked:  so it may be sooner rather than later especially as Dobs appear to be very good value for money :laugh:

A performance bonus, hmmm....you may actually sound good at your job! :grin: So can I be involved spec'in out the new dob? I love spending others money... :grin:

Portable and as short as is possible set up time Gerry are my requirements ( I like the Orion make) so go ahead and spec it, but remember too much cash will be wasted on the skies not being so dark here :smiley:

That's very true Beulah,

I am a great believer in buying what you want when the cash is available, as like you said it may not be there next year.

Thats why I bought my 12" Dob when I did.

I put castors on the base and keep it in the summer house from where I just wheel it out onto the patio, easy grab and go , just need to insert the eyepiece to start observing.

Avtar

The delivery of my Quark is now  T minus 2 days :sad:  (its late) and is going to be another 5 days at least

I thought it had been rather quiet ... The tension is becoming unbearable!

And I would endorse earlier comments, enjoy it when you can - life is for living.

(Ahem, four scopes now and Mrs Floater still appears sanguine about it all!)

Portable and as short as is possible set up time Gerry are my requirements ( I like the Orion make) so go ahead and spec it, but remember too much cash will be wasted on the skies not being so dark here :smiley:

Are you backing out on me already?! And we know aperture is the great equalizer..... :)

"Shall we call the meeting to order? People are we ready? Alright, I'm thinking lets go big and lets go good, no sense playin' around on this one-thoughts people...?" :icon_profileleft:

Same here. I spend money add soon add I have it, otherwise it gets frittered away. As for Scopes I have six but two are solar, one for dark sites, one for moon and double stars, and one for general observations. The final one is most at risk really, my 80mm grab and go although one reason is to get a ed replacement in the future.

"Shall we call the meeting to order? People are we ready? Alright, I'm thinking lets go big and lets go good, no sense playin' around on this one-thoughts people...?" :icon_profileleft:

No comment. I'll just be accused of being a bad influence   :evil:

When nothing could be further from the truth  :angel9:

:evil6:  :evil6:

Hehe..

1st scope - Vixen A80mf - is now the front end of my solar spectrograph :D

2nd scope - Pentax 105SDP - does 99% of stuff perfectly for astro photography

However.. I am considering a big reflector.. possibly starting off as a dob for visual whilst the Pentax is running AP sessions.. then moving perhaps to EQ mounted/AP on the odd occasion.

Buy one, buy one, buy one!!

D.C

Shaun, as a good all round planetary/lunar/DSO scope a VX14 1/10 PV just might be very good. Nice thin mirror, great cell, fan, good focuser and portable for it's size. The 14" would come in handy to combat LP and shows about 3/4 magnitude more than my 10". Wicked on the moon....

Of course we need a Paracorr, a 31mm Nagler and a 21mm Ethos for some nice widefield work and your SLV's/Radian will do for lunar/planetary and planetary nebula. I can only imagine M57 as seen through one of these scopes!

I use and enjoy the scopes that I have. As I upgrade , those scopes that need a new home get one. You shouldn't really worry about these things. We're just caretakers for others and future generations, enjoy.

The trouble with this game is that one scope doesn't do it all . As you progress then more specific gear is of course most desirable !

Nick.

I hope the dob mob are going to leave you with some spare change for another solar frac, Shuan :grin:  I fear not, however, Paracorr, Ethos, Orion Optics :grin:

PS It's the F4 12 inch OO dob that I have my sights on long term, I like that the weight is similar (I think) to my 10 inch GSO, which I find a breeze to carry out and therefore use a lot.

Archived