Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alignmaster Software and DSLR

AlistairW

Hello,

Just wondering if this works ? - If I were to use Alignmaster and a Canon 600D DSL, on LiveView with gridmatrix enabled. Then I can use this setup instead of a illuminated eyepiece, (which I do not have). This is so I can carry out the polar alignment as described by Alignmaster.

Thanks

Alistair

• 1 month later...

I've downloaded the trial and am going to give this software a go. I don't have a great view of the south and low in the east is blocked so manual drift alignment from home isn't really an option.

When using Alignmaster with a DSLR and it is asking you to centre the star, just switch to live view mode and you'll be able to see the star move in real time. Makes it a lot easier than snapping picture afte picture. You can zoom in on live view to easier see the star too if needs be.

I used to use it with my 450D and it's a breeze.

Phil

I have an alignmaster question....I tried using it for the first time last night...

The default option for AlignMaster is to write the syncs back to the mount. My instincts tell me to turn that off as I'm going to be moving the alt/az position of the mount and I don't want the alignment stars added to the model in eqmod till I've finished polar alignment. Does that make sense to everyone? Am I correct to not want it to sync?

Found answer to my own question.

Just a word of caution about using EQASCOM in combination with Alignmaster. You must make sure that the EQASCOM pointing model is disabled whilst alignmaster does it's stuff. So star by clearing out any existing model and put EQASCOM into "dialog mode" for alignment. This is because Alignmaster works by issuing a sync and you want this treated as standard ASCOM sync rather than as a trigger to add an alignment points. Once finished with Alignmaster you are free to reload an existing pointing model and switch to "append on sync" mode (if you prefer it).

Archived