Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is Your MONSTER EYEPIECE ???

Mine is my (arrived yesterday) MEADE 40mm 5000 series SUPERWIDE ANGLE.

I took my 12" DOB out this morning.. just to check out the EP and I observed at a place near my work.. no ambient light around (my during the week secluded in town spot) the sky conditions... just  ok.. probably MAG 3.5 stars or so... I had heard a lot of talk about this eyepiece not being that good in a fast f/5 Telescope... Talk of wasted light..etc.   Well I have always known that Eyepieces work DIFFERENTLY in different Telescopes....that being said.... I was VERY VERY PLEASED at the VIEWS, I panned around the sky just as if it was my 1st Telescope...the WIDEFIELD VIEWS had me GRINNING... I saw several satellites , and they were averaging about 30 seconds to go through the Wide field of view... Needless to say.. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS EP IN THIS TELESCOPE !! Thx for reading  and CLEAR AND DARK SKIES TO ALL....

Mark  post-15801-0-97608300-1422794415.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't actually like using very large, heavy eyepieces that much but it seems to be de rigueur if you want to get very wide, low power views that are well corrected in faster scopes :rolleyes2:

If the same views could be delivered in a more compact eyepiece format I'd be pleased to own them :smiley:

Here are some large ones, some mine, some on loan:

post-118-0-85600700-1422799348_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-14987000-1422799374_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-59023600-1422799426_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-25436800-1422799447_thumb.jpg

Monster eyepieces just don't look at home in my 80mm frac shorty :smiley: One of the reasons I replaced the Delos with the SLV's was the aesthetic imbalance and the Delos are lightweights in comparison to some on display in Johns post.

This page scared me!

John, your monster eyepieces are almost as big as my telescope! I am sure they deliver the best views combined with the largest FOV one can afford for a large class of telescopes, though!  :smiley:

I drew a line for the maximum size / weight of mine. 

My heaviest configuration is Nagler 7mm + Barlow/Telextender 2x. The size is big for my standards, but the weight is limited to ~410g. 

I am glad that, so far, I have not suffered from Aperture or FOV fevers! Actually, I have to say that I would replace my Nagler 7mm with a Pentax XW 7mm immediately due to better eye-relief and comfort, if the latter were as compact and lighter as the former! 

:D

Crikey! I've just ordered a 20mm ES100 (14mm out of stock for 3 months!) and it's bigger than I thought. And that's from someone who's had an ES82 30mm and has a MV 40mm SWA.

On the plus side, it's taller rather than fat, so I should stop banging my noggin on the back of the SCT!

Russell

This is my monster and midget, with bean can and fatty MV as reference, the Aero weighs 520 gram on my scale, less than halv weight of OP's monster. :smiley:

attachicon.gifBean_Aero40_MV24_BCO6.jpg

It's interesting how adding different things to a photo changes the relative scale of other items. In that photo, the MV 24mm looks quite large, but in this one, not so much:

6zzg.jpg

I didn't actually post the picture of the 3 inch monster that Joves refers to I believe John did. I think my heaviest eyepiece to date  would have to be the Meade 30mm Ultra Wide Fatboy, I think this was 1.3 KG though I don't think there is much in it between that and the 40mm 68 degree SWA. I think the biggest I have is the 21mm Ethos though some of the pictures running through the thread really do show how big seems to be the in fashion.

I am always supprised at how the T6 range keeps things so compact which is completely off topic :eek: .

Alan

Archived