SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

bit beyond Jupiter [and Pluto]

nytecam

Well caught. I tried for Eris last year when it was best placed, didn't get it. Well on one or two of my frames I could see something in the right place, but on the others it was just noise. I didn't get another picture to see the movement so no confirmed sighting.

Robin

Thanks everyone for your interest :police:

Well caught. I tried for Eris last year when it was best placed, didn't get it. Well on one or two of my frames I could see something in the right place, but on the others it was just noise. I didn't get another picture to see the movement so no confirmed sighting.

Robin

Hi Robin - yes Eris is a severe challenge for the amateur and seeing it was discovered via the 48" Ochin Schmidt on Palomar that's not surprising.  Below is my earlier attempt in November 2008.  My e-finder shot [4x3 deg fov] shows it moves about a moon diameter every two years almost due north !   I attempted on four clearish nights in a row Nov 21-24 but only got a positive record via the Lodestar on the first night - swapping to the SX MX9 camera with double the fov and including an f/6.3 FR was generally counter productive.  

I used NASA Horizon for it precise position plotted on Wikisky and noted stars that I had to record of comparable magnitude to Eris in the field.  The Lodestar-M original mono cam proved the most sensitive.

THe current shots from last week via the new Lodestar-Mx2, via the same Meade 30cm SCT and go a half mag deeper in similar exposures so helpful as Eris has faded a little more since 2008.  I used the Lodestars in 2x2 binned mode [via SX s/w] for extra 'speed' and it seemed to work!

• 2 weeks later...

Nytecam nice shots! Your images on here and videos on YouTube always inspire me!

I assume these images of eris were taken with your lodestar and your made scope?

I'm thinking about getting a small cheapish ccd for using with small refractors st80 and st102. Looking for someone who has done imaging with a similar set up.

Nytecam nice shots! Your images on here and videos on YouTube always inspire me!

I assume these images of eris were taken with your lodestar and your made scope?

I'm thinking about getting a small cheapish ccd for using with small refractors st80 and st102. Looking for someone who has done imaging with a similar set up.

Hi Stu - suggest you check the Video/EAA Forum:-)

Archived