Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Favourite lunar sights?

Hi all,

Haven't had a great deal of time to study the moon thus far but was delighted by what I have seen in the limited time. In particular got a cracking view of Mare Fecunditatis and Theophlius/Cyrillus the other night. 

Was wondering if you have favourite sights on the moon that you might recommend I hunt for in the future?

Cheers!

It really all depends on the phase. The best sights are to be seen along the terminator(the limb that is just catching the sun, part in shadow and part light). 

There are loads of great sights, just sit and take your time.

To help you find your way around the Virtual Moon Atlas is a great help. http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

If you really get into Luna observing try the Luna 100, a list of 100 items to observe, working from easy to challenging. A great help to this can be found here:- http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/96159-the-lunar-100-by-doc/

Good luck and enjoy.

I like the Alpine Valley / Plato area. The Hadley Rille and Apollo 15 landing site are interesting to explore. The landscape around the Straight Wall (Rupes Recta) is fascinating including the crater pairing of Birt and Birt A and the nearby Rimae Birt with it's "Cobras Head". When the lighting is right I find the crater pairing of Messier and Messier A interesting as are the theories regarding their formation.

Examining the "lonely mountains" such as Mount Pico and Mount Piton at high power is quite engaging too, under the right lighting.

Archived