Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepieces

at present i have an evostar 90 to which i would like to upgrade to get better eyepieces if at all possible which is my first question .2nd question what would be a good upgrade for me to get ( standard super 10mm, 25 wide, 2x barlow) i have seen complete sets but would like to know what they would give me that i dont already have and how much of an upgrade are they

question 3 would be, would they fit onto a   skywatcher explorer 200p  as this is likely to be my next step to a better telescope

thanks for your time and input

Any 1.25" eyepiede will fit the Evostar and the 200P later. There are lots and lots to pick from.

What you have is likely MA's, or worse. :eek:

Ignoring what you have, it is probably easier then to try work round keeping them.

EvoStar 90 is f/10 or f/11. Will use 10 as it is easier.

For that I would suggest a 10mm as a start.

Now comes the problem, a 12mm would do for when things are not too good.

You may want something a bit shorter when things are very good, say 8mm.

That is 3 eyepieces already. :eek: :eek:

Using the BST (£49) focal lengths there is no 10mm so you could go 8mm and 12mm.

Sticking to the BST's I suggest a 15mm then the 25mm.

On a 200P you would likely use the 8mm a fair bit and the 12mm, however occasionally you will want to try a 5mm.

So by the time you are finished you will have 5 of the 6 in the BST range. :grin:

The X-Cels (£59) are very similar, but different focal lengths.

They do not have an 8mm they have 7mm and 9mm, then 12mm

Tempted in those to say 7mm, 12mm, then 18mm and 25mm.

Again when a 200P turns up you will want to try the 5mm for those times it is usable.

Not sure about the 9mm, but again you end up with 5 of 6 from the X-Cel range - I have ignored the 2.3mm, just too extreme.

After that in budget there is a fair jump in cost, ES 82's £100-£130 area, but nice.

I have left the ES 68's out as I read varied reports on these - may be someone with them can supply better feedback.

A bit less are the TV plossl's, think they range from £65-£120, the shortest in those is 8mm.

There are others but not familiar with them, even by name.

A lot depends on what you want to spend.

Be warned that your outlay for eyepieces is likely to exceed the outlay on scopes, and that is not a joke.

Hi Barry, id stick with the 25mm for now. Its not a bad eyepiece and if you upgrade your scope you would probably be best with a 2" wide field eyepiece such a 32mm which wouldnt fit in your 90mm. The 10mm isnt great so maybe get a decent high power eyepiece ( bst or similar).

The BSTs are always a good shout and I agree that the 25mm EP you have will do for the moment.

I would have a look at the 12 & 8mm BSTs as both of these are good focal lengths to have in practically any scope. I wouldn't worry about anything shorter (5mm, etc) as you can barlow both of these to do that job. You'd end up with 4, 6, 8, 12 & 25mm focal lengths, which is a very handy spread.

Yes, there does look like a bit of a gap in the longer FLs, which could be plugged with the luxury of a 15mm BST, but it's a lot handier to have the small adjustments in FL at high magnifications, than it is at long ones. At high magnifications, you're fighting atmospheric stability and a good view at 8mm can be a blurry, fuzzy mess at 6mm, depending on the night.

25mm and 12mm will be largely unaffected by such seeing issues and it's more about image scale, which is another way of saying framing the object nicely. This is a bit more of a luxury and is less important.

Russell

Hi Barry, id stick with the 25mm for now. Its not a bad eyepiece and if you upgrade your scope you would probably be best with a 2" wide field eyepiece such a 32mm which wouldnt fit in your 90mm. The 10mm isnt great so maybe get a decent high power eyepiece ( bst or similar).

so am i right in saying by getting a "bst 25mm " would be better than the standard 25mm that i already have and will it give me a clearer view?

so am i right in saying by getting a "bst 25mm " would be better than the standard 25mm that i already have and will it give me a clearer view?

Yes it would be wider view, but consider the explore scientific maxvision 24mm, this would be my preference over the bst's. They also come in 16mm and 20mm @ 1.25"

Yes it would be wider view, but consider the explore scientific maxvision 24mm, this would be my preference over the bst's. They also come in 16mm and 20mm @ 1.25"

what would that give me (sorry for my ignorance ) ?

Archived