SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double vision a

Hi - I took some photos last night with a DSLR, piggy back on an AVX mount, of  Orion. On all of the subs there is a lot of moon shine but in addition all of the stars are double.  I guess this may be due to the moon which wasn't far away causing reflections within the lens but as I'm a beginner to AP I thought it worth checking on SGL.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response. There were other things going on such having to pack the camera on the piggy back mount as when the camera was flat to the mount it wasn't pointing where the scope was (is it usual to have to pack the camera/mount, it's the first time I have used it and I'm a novice so I don't know what is normal and what isn't t). I'll get the issues sorted and take some more photos and if there is still a problem I'll write another post.

Craig

(is it usual to have to pack the camera/mount, it's the first time I have used it and I'm a novice so I don't know what is normal and what isn't t).

Yes, that sounds quite normal to me, the chances of the two aligning with one another 'out of the box' is pretty remote which is why there is a market for adjustable mountings!

If there was any movement in the pointing of your camera, that would be more than enough to give you a 'double image'.

Good luck with your experimentation.

Archived