Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Children are alright

MattJenko

I helped with an outreach event for the North Essex Astronomical Society tonight at a Catholic Primary school in Colchester. I took my 250px down, and with work commitments, got there a little after it had started.

Doing these events is usually quite a pleasure, and this one was no exception. The moon was gloriously bright and high and the terminator was still visible, so some lovely contrasty views, and combined with some decent seeing meant some very crisp sights, which was perfect for both kids and their parents. The number of "cools" and "awesomes" became too many to count. The Dob is such that it required a lot of the kids to be lifted to the eyepiece, and trying to ascertain if they are actually seeing the object intended is quite a logistical challenge, but seeing the bright white light cone move from the forehead to the nose and finally to the eyeball as their parents move them about trying to get them to see is a quality moment, as the enthusiasm shines just as bright as they get to see the lunar surface in some serious detail.

Jupiter was another firm favourite, more so with the parents, as they start to comprehend exactly what it is they are looking at. I got a chance to properly test out my Vixen SLV 6mm with a non-frozen secondary, and it was splendid. I only got a few minutes gazing at Jupiter, teasing out both colour and multiple bandings, before I dropped the power and let others view, which was the whole purpose of the evening.

A brief glance at the double cluster in a wide eyepiece and an Orion Nebula 5 minutes were the only deviations from the solar system fest, and they were nothing in comparison. The solar system rules at events like this.

I am not generally a fan of other peoples kids, but seeing them in unadulterated fascination did bring a smile to my usually cynical self.

"trying to ascertain if they are actually seeing the object ..."  Heh. I've been trying to show my 3 1/2-year old the moon and am never quite sure whether she's lining her eyeball up with the eyepiece or not. Sometimes I see the light hitting her eye so I assume so, but ...

Kudos for sharing the enjoyment. I've been thinking of touching base with our local schools and seeing if they have some sort of similar program I could help with. Too much to see to not to share the fun.

-- Joel.

Neat ! I have a strong wooden garden table with 18" legs. It does fine for sitting on, but kids can stand on it to get to the Dob at outreach events. Well done for your time and efforts. It is especially worthwhile when you get a reaction, most folk and wee ones haven't observed through a proper scope,

Nick.

Archived