SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Widefield (and a tree)

I finally got around to processing this data (from 2 weeks ago)... anyway.. I had a bit a mare setting up... I had to polar align 3 times (not sure why, as I do not recall knocking the tripod... Then I had no end of trouble getting focussed, even using DSLR controller on my phone and tablet... I've not worked out why with that either. In the end, I gave up, and manually focussed on Jupiter and it's moons using Liveview.

By the time I'd finished faffing around getting setup properly, Lovejoy was getting ready to dive into my tree... 

so this is a stack of only 6 x 2 minutes, f/2.8 @ ISO800. It's noisier than I'd have thought, but then I wanted at least 24 exposures, not 6, so it's probably no big surprise. 

The tail is enormous though.

16219474669_3d50bc5b7b_c.jpgComet Lovejoy

and... just because... a single frame with the tree in the foreground

16379720196_c452d84bff_c.jpgComet Lovejoy dives into a tree

Kat, I didn't bother with any calibration frames. Comet Stacked in DSS and adjusted (curves, levels, colour balance, Deep Sky Noise Reduction and Noise Ninja) in PS. 

I may add in all the subs with the tree crossing the FOV, as it doesn't affect the comet and see how it comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived