Narrowband

Tonights observing

ilikeminefast

Hi all

Finally managed to get out tonight for a couple of hours. I managed to see jupiter, the moon and then i had a little look around orions belt just before the cloud came over.

I managed to see 3 of jupiters moons and the equatorial bands. The moon, i managed to get some really good detail but it was a bit too bright for long viewing. Oriond belt, i managed to locate the 3 belt star and from that i had a look at betelgeuse. Tried to take some pics of jupiter but as it was with my phone on the eyepiece they weren't great.

Telescope - Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Eyepieces - 20mm

10mm

5mm

2x Barlow

Any advice or tip would be appreciated, also any tips for improving my scope.

Thanks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Evening bud.

A quick drop down from Orions belt to the Sword below would be my 1st port-of-call.

The orion Nebula is an easy catch in binos (though not extensive) and would look good in the Celestron.

The only thing I would say is to maybe get a broadband Nebula/Light Pollution filter which helps to bring-out

detail on the more dissuse, nebulae etc.

Narrow band filters such as OIII are good for specific types of Object (IE Planetary Nebulae), but the LPF is a

good start and can be used to help in all sorts of Observing.

Regards, and clear skies

Mick.

I assume the scope is new to you? and you are new to astronomy?. In that case, welcome and just enjoy the scope for now and get to know it and how to make the most of it. I personally wouldnt worry at the moment about buying any filters. Depending on where you live and how badly your light pollution levels are, maybe it would be worth buying a LPF (light pollution filter). They can be bought for about 30 quid for the Skywatcher brand which works well. The Moon phase is quite big and bright right now and it can be bright to look at but you will get used to it very quickly and it wont damage your eyesight in the long term. In the short term, it may cause you to see bright spots after looking at it and this will effect how well you see other objects. Give your eyes a few mins after looking at the moon to recover and you will be good to go on observing other objects. Some people use a Moon filter which takes away some of the brightness, but you really dont need to be spending money on one.

You may want to try using the 5mm eyepiece with the barlow, but that will give you too much magnification on your scope and really wont be much use.

Have a look for the Orion nebula (M42). Its pretty easy to find just below the middle of the belt. Probably best using the 20mm to locate it. 

Thanks for the replies

Yes the telescope is new i have only had 2 sessions with it.

How much detail can i expect from looking at the messier objects, which are the best for my scope.

Are there any threads on polar alignment i should be reading as i had a nightmare when trying to do it.

Thanks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Archived