SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quark shots 18th and 25th Jan

Luke

Hi all,

A few shots from last weekend and the weekend before (I think I got that right). The last image I already posted before but I'll add it here too as it was probably one of my better efforts and for me was the coolest thing I saw through the eyepiece on the 18th.

Wonder if this weekend will bring any sunshine? Thanks for looking, Luke

25th Jan - Tele Vue 85, Quark Chromosphere, Grasshopper 3 camera (ICX687), 0.5x reducer:

16403989455_c5152a1719_b.jpg

16200206778_acb7a0257c_b.jpg

18th Jan- Equinox 120, Quark Chromosphere, Grasshopper 3 camera (ICX687), 0.5x reducer:

15752001703_7001a1fe0c_b.jpg

16174134820_20df90ca48_b.jpg

16163117400_72e8b831c6_b.jpg

16164109047_82c90d7f0e_o.jpg

15729724543_e60d3ae6e0_b.jpg

16310389982_f808389e93_b.jpg

Thanks, all!

Jarrod, I'm not sure how the Prom version would compare for imaging, I imagine it would help, I'd get two main benefits imaging-wise. I would be able to make the proms much brighter in the capture (hopefully pulling further away from noise) and could probably reduce exposure time as well and get a faster frame rate using region of interest. The latter should mean I would shoot the proms for say 30 seconds instead of my default 60, so my theory (possibly wrong) is that there will be less smearing/finer detail on fast-moving proms. I need to play more with prom shots, I may be taking many more frames than I need? (1700 typically)

What I can say for the visual folks is that I have had a dark Quark Chromosphere (0.3A at a wild guess?) and a bright one (0.5A?) and proms do look very, very good indeed with the dark (0.3A?) one. I seem to remember reading that Daystar were surprised by how good proms still were with the narrower Chromospheres.

Looking through the dark one, I don't think you would say proms need a boost, they look great. However, switch over to the bright Quark, and, wow! The proms are amazing, really punchy. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that's even better, but it's obvious, I will borrow a Tele Vue phrase and say the Majesty Factor goes up! Brighter? More contrast? More detail? I don't know, but they were stunning in the brighter Quark. So I'd love to have a look through a Prom version!...

Michael, any thoughts on which version you might go for if you go Grasshopper? There seem to be quite a few choices! I wonder how the CMOS flavours fare for solar h-alpha, I don't think I have seen many results from those yet.

Dave, I was lucky seeing was a bit better, I have had no joy with my images from Saturday 24th's dire seeing, it's mushy peas land :mad: At least the eyepiece view was still nice if a little unsteady so it was worth going out anyway :laugh:

Robin, I wish I knew what it was about your Quark setup that is not making you super enthusiastic about it and has you drooling over the Lunt 80 instead. At the eyepiece it's dead obvious with my Quark and ED100 that the detail is far greater than with my SM60 or the lovely Lunt 60's I have looked through? (The dedicated scopes of course have advantages of their own as we know...)

Archived