Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nice Prom and Solar Flare on the Sun - 30/01/2015

Mark at Beaufort

Just viewing the Sun and there is very nice prom on the western limb at about 260 degree. Also, in sunspot 2277 a very bright solar flare has appeared - inside the first part of this sunspot at about 70 degrees.

UPDATE

The bright solar flare has now ended but the Prom on the western limb is now looping over. On the eastern limb a new Prom has just started - worth a look.

Note: when I first viewed this brightness I thought it was a Plage and having read further I believe it was a solar flare

My first Ha view of 2015. And what a view at 1300 today! A big prom lift off on one side and a tall thin jet on the other. The four pronged jet seemed to be tethered to the Sun by two "feed pipes" giving the appearance of a gas welding torch flame, further enhanced by a slight shimmer in the seeing. Could be a good year after all.  :smiley:

Archived