Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mak-Cass Troubles

My hitherto flawless Intes 815D has developed a new and strange hiccup.  Literally overnight!
When I rotate the focuser  at either end of its travel, it also sets the threaded tube that holds the adaptor (standard SCT 1.25 - 2") diagonal twisting. Thus  spinning the diagonal/adaptor assembly
This tube is part of the optical path -as on any cat - but has never exhibited this weirdness before.
I can't see a good reason for this other than the primary has somehow become fixed or stuck to the central tube!???
Last nights obs. were perfectly normal with everything snapping into focus" just so".
The weather was cool, but not cold.
I bought the scope in and  put it in its case per usual  Living room warm but not hot -about an 8  degree Farenheit difference between outside and indoors.
I've done this hundreds of times with no problem.
A visual inspection  reveals no clues.
I'm reluctant to take it apart as in the 4 years I've had it, it has required collimnation only twice and has otherwise had no "issues".
Can anyone think of an explanation for this oddness?
Thanks in advance.
PJH

Somethings loose and if it's not clear externally, maybe you'll have to remove the primary end of the scope and have a look. The other suggestion is don't go near either end of your focuser travel in the mean time!

Russell

Such was my theory.  Fortunately a good old fossick here and on CN has yielded some excellent info on how to disassemble the 'scope without breaking anything.

Pray for us!

OK the next thing to check which does not require disassembly.....

On the 715 and hopefully yours - the primary baffle is held tight against the back plate by a rotating ring that has two holes in for tightening - I use two allen keys between two pieces of metal to ensure it is tight.

Fixed by Jimminy!
Had to take it apart -not so daunting as it sounds -but the two very, teeny, tiny screws that hold the ring onto the baffle tube had come loose.
Might opt for a Moonlite  or Feathertouch focuser and "lock" the primary just in case.

Archived