Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widest FOV budget eyepiece for SCT

paul mc c

i used the sw nirvanas with my sct and found them great. also es are highly recomended . dont no what you class as budget. they sell seondhand for around 100 quid and 150 ish new. will also be good in your dob

One of the chinese 30mm 80 degree ones which appear under lots of brand names. They are quite good in F/10 scopes. Not so good when the focal ratio drops below F/8. Alternatively, and cheaper still are the Revelation 42mm's sold by Telescope House.

Hi Faulksy,by budget i mean £40 budget,not any thing fancy,just a wide view with a decent image,like the  one John mentioned.

i get you now, didnt read it properly. wfov ep i had which was great in my sct, was a skywatcher aero 40mm

Has any one got any views on the Meade 3000 40mm Japanese plossl.

It's a nice 1.25" 40mm Japanese plossl. 43 degrees AFoV which is the most that they can squeeze from that focal length in the 1.25" format. Quite a few folks prefer it to the 40mm 4000 series plossl. It's not going to compete with your 28mm SWA for true field of course.

It's a nice 1.25" 40mm Japanese plossl. 43 degrees AFoV which is the most that they can squeeze from that focal length in the 1.25" format. Quite a few folks prefer it to the 40mm 4000 series plossl. It's not going to compete with your 28mm SWA for true field of course.

Right,so will my 28mm give me a bigger field of view..i cant seem to get my head round fields of view in eyepieces.

I use this as a sanity check when trying to make sure I've worked it out right, because it simply shows the FoV and not magnification. Be careful using some of the EPs/scopes people have added; I'm sure I found one the other day that was wrong. <edit> The "LX200" has an aperture AND focal length of 304mm! I've just emailed them to let them know.

FWIW and it's well outside your budget, the Maxvision 40mm SWA is fantastic in the LX 8", although it makes the LX looks like it's shrunk. I also reckon the SW Panaview 38mm would turn in a pretty decent performance at F10 with a 70deg aFOV. It's certainly a very easy EP to use with a nice big eye lens and huge eye relief.

Russell

Right,so will my 28mm give me a bigger field of view..i cant seem to get my head round fields of view in eyepieces.

Yes, the 28mm SWA shows you more sky than the 40mm 1.25" plossl can. About 12% more I reckon.

Hi Paul

I think John and Jules are right. Get the Revelation Superview 42mm. Telescope House have them for £33 plus about £3 shipping. Brilliant for the money.

I also really like the Moonfish clone 30mm

80 deg too..I sold one recently for £55, only as I have a Zeiss 30mm 85deg. The view is very similar, but one is made by Zeiss...:-). There's a clone on UKABS at the moment for £65 I think..85% of Nagler views for a third of the cost!

The Meade 3k 40mm is a lovely little EP but like looking through a tunnel..NOT a wide field.

One last one..Teleskop Service RK (Reverse Kellner) 32mm. Only 3 elements so great light throughput, very dark sky background contrast and 55 deg fov. Great for DSO and clusters. Around £45 or so shipped from Germany( good service too).

HTH

Dave

Archived