Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter in RGB - 29/1/15 - Second attempt

DrRobin

Thanks guys. 

I have just realised my title might be a little misleading, it should have said 'Second attempt this season'.  This is my first season of mono imaging on Jupiter although I have had two or three years with a colour cam.

I used a Celestron C11 (11" SCT) with a mono camera, ASI120MM (basically a good webcam) and a colour filter wheel to get this image.  Therefore I took 3 captures (videos) one in Red, one in Green and one in Blue.  Each capture took 5,000 frames and each is processed (in mono) before adding the colour and then combining to give a colour image.

You can get images just as good as this with a cheap [modified] webcam and smaller scope, but it depends very much on the seeing.

Robin

Hi Neil,

I thought the seeing was quite good.  I made two complete runs in RGB and started a third, then noticed a cloud bank moving in so gave up after just over an hour.  Turns out the cloud never came across for another three hours, Jupiter was high and bright taking the dog for a walk at midnight.  Still I would have been frozen daft if I had stayed out for any longer and an hour was just fine for me.

I am still trying to find the optimum work flow/settings for mono planetary imaging, so a frequent short sessions are better than a real long one and get everything wrong.

Robin

Great detail there Robin under those conditions and very natural looking. I'd stick with those settings increasing the image scale when seeing comes better. You'll then get something quite special I'm sure!

Archived