SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacking Nikon D7100 24 megapixel Lunar images

knobby

Any ideas chaps, pipp creates 138mb tiffs from the 6000 x 4000 res raw files ... tried the newest beta of autostakkert and the pc just dies !

its a pentium dual core @3.2 Ghz, Win 7 64 with 4 gig of ram

tried 49 images ... slow grinding death, tried 8 images ... same result ... tried 4 images, looked promising but still died

Am i asking too much ?

It's the memory and size of files - some applications assume that you will load the entire set of pictures into memory first...

Have a look at the trial version of Pixinsight. Largest image I've processed was 6GB, however like everything - the more megapixels the more memory and CPU power you need if you want fast processing!

One of the reasons I went a bit mad PC wise when moving up into the 20 MP+ DSLR league and with the possibility of shooting and processing video content...

OK the software needs to be written to make best  use of all the hardware at ti's disposal but that's starting to happen now,,, 

A typical busy weekends shoot may mean a couple of thousand raw files to sort through , cull and process... 

Finally found the right software for the job which means I no longer shoot jpegs for reviewing purposes and my workflow has really really sped up...

I chucked around 150 23MP raws at DSS the other day 50 lights and 80 calibration frames...

Peter...

Have you tried the solar stacking programs? If they work on FFT based alignment they'll work on lunar too?

I had an in-memory stacking using FFTW originally but I moved to OpenCL for realtime stacking.. only thing is I think your 6000x4000 images would mean a large graphics card ;):p

You are going to stack your lunar image in DSS?  Is that even possible?

Have you tried turning off Buffering in AS!2?  There is an option to do that under the 'Memory Usage' menu.

Cheers,

Chris

I wasn't suggesting trying stacking them in DSS I doubt very much  it would work...

Peter...

Archived