Narrowband

M78 and Iris Mosaic (slowly learning RGB!)

PatrickGilliland

Evening all,

Having spent my first 6 months almost solely in narrow band have had to start to get to grips with LRGB here are my first to 'serious' attempts.  Feed back and tips welcome as ever.

First M78 - approx. 5 hours data and a lot more in figuring out the processing. :grin:

post-37169-0-33473700-1422562698_thumb.j

And next a two pain mosaic of an earlier Iris (while it was RGB and er, still is there was less colour to play with so more of a mosaic test) have a little issue with flats on bottom pane but will resolve on next process.

post-37169-0-55486100-1422562812_thumb.j

Thanks for looking - hopefully some will enoy.

Paddy

Hi Paddy

You've got a good start on a couple nice images.  Because you asked for feedback I will offer this:  you have a lot more data hiding in the M78 image.  I would suggest stretching the midtones a bit more whether it be several small iterations of curves or by using the screen mask invert technique.  There is a lot of dust that wants to pop out...  Pulling the detail out of an LRGB image is generally more challenging than in narrowband - that has been my experience anyway.  Just a few different techniques and don't stretch too far too fast!   Small incremental steps are good.  

Good luck!

Two really nice images Paddy, which are also indicative of the excellent progress you've made over recent months. Whereas narrowband data is possibly more forgiving in terms of processing, with broadband data it's tougher. Here you have two well processed broadband images, with data captured probably under less than optimal UK skies - great work all round.

Martin

The processing looks good regarding the dust areas especially with the Iris nebula - But where has the colour gone in the Iris? I can see that there's some there, but if you look around the net there are a whole host of images showing the Iris being much bluer. Of course some are over the top, but I often use Fabian Neyer's images as a good yardstick. 

http://www.starpointing.com/ccd/iris.html

The dust also tends to be a little redder usually.

I hope that helps Paddy.

Thanks for feedback all - to be honest eeking anything out of this data obtained while cloud dodging was an effort I do not want to repeat again - scope will not be out for RGB images unless it is truly clear, think that much has been learned!

@Orion  58 will have a look at those resources seem like a good piece of extra learning -- all knowledge is good knowledge (subject to application :grin: ).

@ Sara - yes agreed over on AB and here I think actually I have a fully processed version of Iris (http://www.astrobin.com/full/147634/H/) that captures the blue better, however I prefer with a little range in the colour as well- this was more a test of the mosaic which I halted when I spotted the wrong calibration frame was in use on bottom pane of the image. 

On the topic of red dust, I would like this but seem to have struggle finding red tones without the whole image, background included being effected, dark nebula/areas hard to mask effectively with current skills while not effecting background.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I tend to get a much blacker version than I would like albeit with nice detail.  Another iteration to follow this one will follow when calibration sorted.

@Martin and Chris thank you, less than ideal skies is an understatement as you well know.  If I was to be honest if I had a choice I would have deleted well over half my subs instead I have had to do all sorted to remove gradients and the like.  Its not ideal and I am not the patient sort.  In time I will build up data but first annual cycle imaging so have to use what I can get for now.  Hopefully with some good data (it has to be clear at some point) the results will improve dramatically.

Cheers All

Paddy  

Archived