Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M47 & M46

Freedom2099

Hi, Tuesday I manage to spot M47 and M46 but... whilst M47 has been an easy win (bright and easy to recognize), M46 has been quite hard! It was extremely faint and I managed to detect it, using averted vision, just because I knew exactly where to look thanks to M47! The UHC filter didn't help much!

here a sketch of M47:

post-38546-0-15749500-1422550650.png

I too found M47, five nights ago on the 24th; it was the first time that I got myself a position suitable to view it. M46 is a very close visual nieghbour, but I couldn`t convince myself I had seen it so I didn`t record it. Anyway, well done for ticking off both of them  :smiley:

I too found M47, five nights ago on the 24th; it was the first time that I got myself a position suitable to view it. M46 is a very close visual nieghbour, but I couldn`t convince myself I had seen it so I didn`t record it. Anyway, well done for ticking off both of them  :smiley:

Hi, using a 9.25 inch scope weren't you able to spot M46 easily?   

Hi, using a 9.25 inch scope weren't you able to spot M46 easily?   

Ha; yes I probably would have seen it; but my EQ6 mount is out of action at the moment; I was using my 102ED refractor and a couple of eyepieces I`d grabbed before going across to a nearby playing field. I probably did see it; I just couldn`t convince myself  :undecided:

I think these and some Messiers are sadly overlooked, like M34, M44 and M67. Certainly a superb way to observe is to sit and do a quick sketch.

Nick.

I'm quite a fan of M35 - M38 too. Four nice open clusters not too far from M46 & M47 if OC's are your thing.

Thanks for the write up on here, I realised I need to make these Messiers (46 & 47) a target for my next session while they are in a reasonable viewing position!

Clear skies.

When you get your 9 inch back at it, there is a cracking little planetary nebula, ngc 2438 which appears to be nestled in its northern half.

It;s actually much closer of course but it looks like part of the cluster.

Mick

M67 is certainly overlooked, I always go and say hello after I've seen M44. As is M92 which in some ways I prefer to M13. Another one is M34 up in Perseus, it gets missed a lot by people going for M31, M33, the Double Cluster, even those hunting down M76- but it's a neat little cluster that resolves well in binoculars.

M67 is certainly overlooked, I always go and say hello after I've seen M44. As is M92 which in some ways I prefer to M13. Another one is M34 up in Perseus, it gets missed a lot by people going for M31, M33, the Double Cluster, even those hunting down M76- but it's a neat little cluster that resolves well in binoculars.

I found M67 the other day by star hopping - not so easy if your nelm is only just about good enough to see cancer and the head of Hydra! Lovely sparkly thing in my ten inches though! :)

Archived