Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How Well Can You Process My Jupiter .tif?

Xiga

Hey guys

I was able to take my first ever astro pic a little over a week ago. It was of course of Jupiter, link to the thread is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/234732-my-first-ever-astro-photo-yes-its-jupiter/

Well i was out last weekend as well and tried again, here is the result:

post-27374-0-07365000-1422475665_thumb.j

Seeing conditions were better this time, as was my processing. Other differences included taking a 3 min video (instead of 2) and also runnig it through WinJupos to de-rotate it, before doing the usual in Autostakkert, Registax and PS. 

I have probably over done it with the contrast, although to my eyes at least it looks a bit less like an oil painting this time! lol

What i'd really like to know though, is seeing as i'm so new at all of this, it would be good to be able to see what a dab hand could do with the same data. That way i'll know how close i am coming to reaching the maximum capabilities of my setup.

So i've attached 2 files below, one is simply the stacked .tif file and the other is the sharpened .tif that Autostakkert spits out (note, i applied a little rgb aligning to the sharpened version, and this is the one i used in PhotoShop, seeing as i couldn't get a better outcome using Registax's wavelets that what AS did for me, but no doubt others could improve on this)

http://1drv.ms/1tssi8f

http://1drv.ms/1v5IEEW

Really interested to see what magic you guys can work!  :smiley:

Hi, here is my version. I downloaded the original Tiff and processed it in Registax, then into PixInsight to change the saturation. I may have over done the color a little but its a very good image to start with. Total time : 5minutes

Clear Skies

Paul

post-18204-0-05219100-1422550868.jpg

Brilliant work guys, i can see that i need to work on my processing a bit more.

CKemu, i really like your first version. Can you elaborate a bit on your key settings?

ps - I should point out that the original .tif file was based on a huge pile, around 5,000 or so frames. I created 5 different stacks, ranging from 10% up to 50% and carefully compared each one. The 50% stack showed hardly any less detail, at least to my eyes, but it had far, far less noise. So i went with it. Was this wrong? I keep reading that one should only use about 10% so i was surprised i was able to go so high.

Space Cowboy that is excellent. Clearly I need to learn how to maximise my processing skills. Tips will be most welcome!

Thanks to all for your efforts btw. It's been very educational to see what I can strive for

DMouse, CKemu and RCompassi seem to have pulled the best detail out without over cooking it, at least in my opinion. I think Paul's slightly edges in to the lead. It is interesting to see the different takes on the same image, just shows you that a good deal of the final image is in the processing.

Robin

Sorry to bud in as I have not done any planetary imaging since last April but here is my humble effort done in PI and PS and a bit of DECON help from Focus  Magic. Hope you don't mind. Very lovely capture of the big Jup BTW.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-27087300-1422751292.png

Fantastic work peeps. It is really interesting to see how different an image can come out through processing alone. 

Space Cowboy your last one is freaking awesome. I think my own personal tastes prefer a slightly softer image with less noise than a sharper noisier one. Cheers for the Image Analyser link, i will give it a go myself and see if i find it any easier to use than PS. 

ps - Next up on the project list will be to give Magic Lantern a go and see if 14 bit data on a DSLR gives noticeably better results over the usual compressed 8 bit .mov files. 

Archived