SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First session of 2015

Well its been a couple of days over a month since it was clear enough to image. A lot of new goodies to try out and tweak. The Lodestar and PHD was dead easy to get hooked up configured and calibrated. Calibration worked first time. First time to image with the rig since I added the dec axis dual saddle Borg 50 and Lodestar. Lots of wires now looks like a proper rig. I'm planning on going till I pass out tonight so I should get lots of new subs to process.

First-Night.jpg

The Lodestar is sensitive and quiet. Lots of guide stars in the field with a 1 or 2 second exposure.

Griz

Sweet looking setup Griz :)

I am having a few issues with the 7DII and BYEOS - It looks like occasionally the camera "refuses" to download the last image captured  times out after a couple of minutes and the plan stops :(

Might be time to think about using the built in intervalometer .... Clear skies are at a premium here so can't risk losing a session  due to camera control issues...

Peter...

On my disk do you process yours as you are imaging? I guess you don't get excited when you build a rig? Billy do you have the latest BYE? I haven't seen that problem but I have gotten bitten by the it filling the memory with subs/thumbs/whatever and it will crash. So before a long plan I kill it and restart to clear all that out. Doubt its a BYE bug maybe a slightly poor design but my notebook only had 4gig thats not much. I set it to save them to the camera + computer just in case. Its quicker to get the stuff on my main box via memory card reader instead of trying to copy all of them over the wifi. But it went really smooth. Well except for one newbie error. the dew point was a full 10deg away but things started dewing up. Not the main cam but the Borg objective. Couldn't get it to guide all of a sudden it would work for a few cycles then go off in never never land. Thinking I need to get those dew strips on from the get go and start them low early in the night. Nice and dark here but the lake makes it damp all the time. Closest weather I cna get over BYE is in Austin almost 70 miles away so its not that accurate. But I think I ended up with about 70 more subs for the orion pic. The center area is blown at 15 sec I had to go to 10sec. I was all setup for a nice long run the moon was almost down when the dew problems hit. I don't have a strip for both camera and Borg yet. So I packed it in. Supposed to have 3 more days of clear. I think APT has added support for 7D2 now. Have you tried that one?

Griz

• 2 weeks later...

Archived