SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik Software and plate solving

nightster

I have decided on an upgrade from my dslr, the Atik 460 mono. Now I am researching all the side effects of this change. I currently use BYEOS and think it is just wonderful with frame and focus support, controls ascom hardware, phd dithering, and the AT compatibilty to name a few. Can anyone tell me about the capture software that ships with Atik, how it compares to BYEOS and if it can plate solve with ATortilla? Is there another capture program I should budget for? Really trying to keep costs down as the 460/MFW/Ha-LRGB are all I can muster right now.

Artemis Capture (the Atik capture sotfware that comes with Atik cameras) is fairly basic, and only actually has functionality to get focus with FWHM and to capture. You can set up sequences as well. It doesn't have any control over the mount though.

However, the Atik cameras come with ASCOM drivers, so other software can control the camera. AstroTortilla can capture and solve.

A really nice piece of software is Sequence Generator Pro (http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Products/SGpro). It controls all your ASCOM devices (camera, mount, filter wheel, etc). It can plate solve, dither, and a whole bunch of other cool features. Check it out.

I have decided on an upgrade from my dslr, the Atik 460 mono. Now I am researching all the side effects of this change. I currently use BYEOS and think it is just wonderful with frame and focus support, controls ascom hardware, phd dithering, and the AT compatibilty to name a few. Can anyone tell me about the capture software that ships with Atik, how it compares to BYEOS and if it can plate solve with ATortilla? Is there another capture program I should budget for? Really trying to keep costs down as the 460/MFW/Ha-LRGB are all I can muster right now.

The Artemis capture is a sequencer and image acquisition software that works great but only with Atik cameras, filter wheel etc. It can also guide but a new instance has to be launched and the same for running two Atik cameras though it does not have the ability to synch the cameras in exposure for dithering. I use Nebulosity for image capture and dithering with phd guiding. Neb has native support for Atik cameras through Atik universal driver and can control FW through ascom. One piece of software that is worth paying for also is Sequence Pro Generator. You can download the 45 day trial version and have a play with it.

A.G

You could use astrotortilla (which in turn uses astrometry.net).

I've installed an astrometry.net local server on my mac mini.. it means at SGLX I should know roughtly where I'm pointing through the alcoholic haze..

I think the latest version of Artemis DOES enable dithering, but when I could not get it to work, I spoke to Atik about it and it appears it will only work with an Atik guide camera.

So if you are guiding with an Atik camera, you CAN dither with the latest version of Artemis.

I wasn't prepared to buy another guide camera and alter my whole set up just to accommodate dithering in Artemis, but there is another option.  

APT which is apparently similar to BYEOS (I've never used BYEOS so am only going by what i have heard) and very cheap, will not only work with DSLRs, but also works with CCD cameras and will enable dithering.

I really love Artemis for frame and focus, and once I have my object in the FOV with Artemis, I start the guiding and then switch to APT for capture and dithering.  

Carole 

I think the latest version of Artemis DOES enable dithering, but when I could not get it to work, I spoke to Atik about it and it appears it will only work with an Atik guide camera.

So if you are guiding with an Atik camera, you CAN dither with the latest version of Artemis.

I wasn't prepared to buy another guide camera and alter my whole set up just to accommodate dithering in Artemis, but there is another option.  

APT which is apparently similar to BYEOS (I've never used BYEOS so am only going by what i have heard) and very cheap, will not only work with DSLRs, but also works with CCD cameras and will enable dithering.

I really love Artemis for frame and focus, and once I have my object in the FOV with Artemis, I start the guiding and then switch to APT for capture and dithering.  

Carole 

Thanks for light bulb moment, Carole.  I get in the mode of thinking I need to do every task in one program, forgetting about ALT-TAB.  And no, I will not be buying an Atik branded guide cam either. So a Frame and Focus in Artemis then whichever sequencer I settle on.

One more thing, how do you like that 383L with your 80mm or that WO71?  I am imaging at 80/480 and the battle in my head rages on between the 383L and the 460ex. 

+1 for APT which I happily use with a qhy8l ccd and a Canon 1100d, together with PHD2, AT and Stellarium, of course. APT works best for focusing if you set up a focus plan.  I just wrote some software to control a SW autofocuser based on fwhm/hfd values being passed from APT. I've yet to run it live - just waiting on the weather!

Louise

One more thing, how do you like that 383L with your 80mm or that WO71?  I am imaging at 80/480 and the battle in my head rages on between the 383L and the 460ex. 

The 383L is great, but with a smaller refractor the FOV is fairly wide, so it's great for larger objects but not so great for small objects.  I recently added an Atik314 to the kit and alternate between the two depending on the chosen target.

I think the 460 sits somewhere between and probably is the ideal size. 

Cons of the 383L:

1. It has a shutter, which means you have to take flats at least 2.5/3secs long or you get shutter shadow (so usually means dimming the light source).  

2. with the large format sensor, spacing and orthogonality is more critical to get round stars into the corners.  Being less technical than some I am still struggling with this.

3. You need 2" filters, though I am now using 35mm unmounted filters in an Atik 7 position electronic filterwheel.  Still expensive though.  

One bit of news on the dithering front and I am not sure whether I should be announcing this, but after a chat with Atik at Astrofest yesterday and explaining that whilst I love Artemis, I wasn't prepared to change all my guiding set up in order to dither.  I think I persuaded them to write a script so that Artemis will speak to PHD, in fact the IT person was standing there and they asked him.  So if this does indeed happen then we might be able to dither in Artemis without needing to buy an Atik guide camera.

Watch this space.

Carole 

One bit of news on the dithering front and I am not sure whether I should be announcing this, but after a chat with Atik at Astrofest yesterday and explaining that whilst I love Artemis, I wasn't prepared to change all my guiding set up in order to dither.  I think I persuaded them to write a script so that Artemis will speak to PHD, in fact the IT person was standing there and they asked him.  So if this does indeed happen then we might be able to dither in Artemis without needing to buy an Atik guide camera.

Watch this space.

Carole 

PHD and its successor really should work with any capture program.  Is there a petition I can sign to add to the list that would like this functionality?  

Lets leave the petition for now, don't want to nag them when they have agreed to try to do it.

I've personally E mailed the IT chap as agreed to remind him and asked him to update me, so I will call back to this thread if I have any news.

Carole 

The 460EX works fine with 1.25" filters and has the largest sensor size usable with 1.25" filters.  This and it's very low noise and high sensitivity make it a very good option IMO :)  Sorry - bit off topic...

Artemis Capture cannot be called directly from AstroTortilla AFAICT but can be used with the Open file mode in AT.  After an exposure, point ATs Open dialog to where Artemis has saved the image and it will plate solve, move the mount and request the next image until the alignment error is within the value you specify.  I find it works very well (once properly set up).  I use a different folder for saving plate solving images from my AP to keep plate solving and the imaging run proper, separate.  Hope that makes sense :D

Oh and on a personal note, I think I shall probably get Sequence Generator Pro once I get all my gear properly set up and working.  Lots of recommendations for running an automated setup :)

The 460EX works fine with 1.25" filters and has the largest sensor size usable with 1.25" filters.  This and it's very low noise and high sensitivity make it a very good option IMO :)  Sorry - bit off topic...

Artemis Capture cannot be called directly from AstroTortilla AFAICT but can be used with the Open file mode in AT.  After an exposure, point ATs Open dialog to where Artemis has saved the image and it will plate solve, move the mount and request the next image until the alignment error is within the value you specify.  I find it works very well (once properly set up).  I use a different folder for saving plate solving images from my AP to keep plate solving and the imaging run proper, separate.  Hope that makes sense :D

Oh and on a personal note, I think I shall probably get Sequence Generator Pro once I get all my gear properly set up and working.  Lots of recommendations for running an automated setup :)

No apologies please. I like hearing positive comments about the 460 as I will be ordering one soon.   I am hoping this upgrade will make processing easier.  

I just love AstroTortilla.  Its almost magical.  I haven't done a star alignment since I got it working late last year.  Just point and shoot.  Star Alignments are now coffee refill time.  

I downloaded a trial of SGP and was surprised at what they have included at the price they are selling.  It seems very well put together and comprehensive as well.  It will work with the SX wheel I plan on mating to the 460.  And when I get the AutoFocus later this year it will handle that process as well.  Now I am coming to the point in this obsession that I am stepping off a concrete pad in the backyard where I can place an obsy. I will need to go to the Home Owners association for that one, sigh. 

I trialled Nebulosity, AstroArt and SGP and could not get on with any of them.  Solving problems that do not exist IMHO.  I used Artemis for a bit but it did not support dithering when I last used it (2013).  So I now use AstroTortilla, APT, PhD and CdC all linked by ASCOM.  All free (well, APT cost the princely sum of 9 Euros) stable and easy to use with my Atik 460/EFW2/HEQ6  I got it all purring away on an aging Dell Latitude laptop with Windows 7.  Works a treat!!!!

Archived