Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eye piece/filters

Pair of newcomers to star/planet observing, wondering if theses are any good?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/celestron-eyeopener-eyepiece-and-filter-kit.html

Curently own a nexstar 130 SLT

Been out tonight as lucky to have clear skies hoping it stays clear from when the mrs gets in at midnight.

I got a cracking view of jupiter and its moons. One thing I noticed is its incredibly bright :shocked:

We only have the 25mm and 9mm eyepiece at the moment. I've read that filters are needed sometimes due to glare etc and thought the above kit would be a good start .

Any help appreciated .

Pete n lou

The only one for glare I suspect you will need is the moon filter, or do as I do and have a residual image on your retina for 30 seconds.

Not sure where the idea that coloured filters were of any real use came from. I have 4 scopes, owned scopes for 12 years and so far do not own a filter

The eyepieces seem reasonable, they are all stated as plossls - just read that the 32mm has a 44 degree view and that is odd, every 32mm plossl I have met or read of has a 50 or 52 degree view. It is normally a 40mm plossl that has a restricted view.

Like many I prefer to buy individual eyepiece and not a set, so not easy to say from my point of view.

Hi Pete n Lou, as Ronin says, it is better to buy individual eyepieces according to your needs, but as astronomy is fairly new to you I would carry on with what you have got at the moment.  I don't think the set you are looking at is a a good buy, though it seems so on the face of it.  As Ronin hints at, the filters will hardly be used and you certainly do not want to invest in filters you may or may not need.  The filter that many people go for is a Moon filter, and specifically a neutral density filter such as the ND96 (0.9) filter which has 13% light transmission, just right for viewing the Moon when it is at its brightest, this is the one I most often use. 

If you just want to improve the current situation without bust the bank, a suggestion would be the 2xbarlow as given above and the 9mm planetary ep you mentioned.

Keep the 25mm and the 9mm and you have the following with a barlow.

25mm = x25

25mm+B = x52

9mm = x72

9mm+B = x144

That gives you 1 low power, 2 in the medium range and 1 high power.

This refers to using the existing 25mm ep, a revelation barlow and a skywatcher 9mm planetary. 

There are many other options its just i like this as a cheap way to get you to the next level. 

I am sure others will have other suggestions

steve

Regards a Moon-Filter, a variable polarizing-filter is much prefered over a single filter that reduces glare at a set rate - usually 13%. The variable one's are adjustable from 40% down to 3% usually:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_Variable_Polariser_Filter_1_25__.html

A bit more money, but worth it in my book. They are also great for using on Venus - or anything else that's too  bright.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Regards a Moon-Filter, a variable polarizing-filter is much prefered over a single filter that reduces glare at a set rate - usually 13%. The variable one's are adjustable from 40% down to 3% usually:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_Variable_Polariser_Filter_1_25__.html

A bit more money, but worth it in my book. They are also great for using on Venus - or anything else that's too bright.

Clear Skies,

Dave

They are good Dave, I have one too although i thought at a fiver a cheap version might help them decide if they need something better without shelling out too much.

Up to the OP as to how much they want to spend though i guess :-)

Steve

Archived