SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can't open AVI in AS!2

What software did you use to capture the AVI? 

What is the file size? I think there is a limit of 2GB.

The 2GB limit in AS!2 only applies to 'fancy' codecs (such as the compressed AVI from Firecapture/PIPP).  Basic AVI formats (such as DIB) are handled by AS!2 without an file size limitation.  However, just running the file through PIPP should create an AVI file that AS!2 is happy with.

I am of the opinion that AVI files have had their time and SER files are the way forward now.  The only issues with SER are they don't support compression and you can't double-click on them to play them.  I am tempted to knock up a little SER video player just to get around the second problem.

Cheers,

Chris

Strangely enough I have something similar (a "SER file previewer") on my list of things to do, Chris :D

The other problem with SER (as well as the lack of compression) is that as far as I'm aware there's still one really nasty issue where it uses the data for the first frame to decide the bit depth of the image.  That really needs fixing and the spec. tightening up to make it clear what's supposed to happen.

James

After passing the AVI through PIPP, AS!2 still wouldn't accept it. Where's the option on PIPP to select the best frames to limit file size?

I used SharpCap with my ZWO ASI120MC cam. I only took 1000 frames. Normally, with my Phillips webcam, I would take 3000!

After passing the AVI through PIPP, AS!2 still wouldn't accept it. Where's the option on PIPP to select the best frames to limit file size?

I used SharpCap with my ZWO ASI120MC cam. I only took 1000 frames. Normally, with my Phillips webcam, I would take 3000!

That surprises me.  Actually I have just spotted the version of AS!2 you are using, so it does not surprise me!  Best to get a later version:

http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/latest.html

Chris

Strangely enough I have something similar (a "SER file previewer") on my list of things to do, Chris :D

The other problem with SER (as well as the lack of compression) is that as far as I'm aware there's still one really nasty issue where it uses the data for the first frame to decide the bit depth of the image.  That really needs fixing and the spec. tightening up to make it clear what's supposed to happen.

James

Ah yes, using the first frame to decide the bit depth of the image, I have no idea what madness caused that to be in the spec!  It seems to assume that the SER generating software is incapable of correctly setting the bit depth field in the header.  One of the reasons I hate the AVI format is that so many AVI generating programs generate invalid AVI files and expect the reading software to just deal with it.

I removed the first frame bit depth detection function from PIPP straight away as it caused so many problems, especially with ISS imaging where the first frame is almost guaranteed to be empty.

Cheers,

Chris

That surprises me.  Actually I have just spotted the version of AS!2 you are using, so it does not surprise me!  Best to get a later version:

http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/latest.html

Chris

Thanks Chris. But I didn't use that one as it said it's been largely untested and use at your own risk. Can you suggest another version?

Don't forget the number of pixels is 4x larger per frame. Running through PIPP only reduces file size if you either crop or select best frames. Under "quality options" tick the box "enable quality setting" and specify number of frames to keep

Archived