Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommended lenses for Dobsonian Skywatcher 200p?

FairDoos

Still a noobie to the sky watching world so I was just wondering if anyone would like to recommend me some lenses for my Dobsonian Skywatcher 200p?

I want really detailed views of the moon preferably with a lot of magnification.

I've also been recommended a Barlow lens but am at a stump to which one to purchase,

Thanks for the help in advance!

There is a trend  building with the Skyliner Dobsonian in eyepiece choices.  Having a focal ratio of only f/6, it fares very well  with the eyepieces in my signature ( for my eyes) The final results will  depend entirely on your own quality of eyesight, and the parameters you desire.  Any of the eyepieces in my signature are recommended. I've not had the chance yet to test my new  Plossl's, so can't advise on those,  but just be aware that with with a Plossl, the eye-relief is short ( not long enough on the shorter focal lengths for my liking )  I tried a TeleVue 8mm and the 6mm eye-relief was not comfortable in use. But since trying that EP,  I'm intrigued to test the Plossl range again, and this time chose the Revelation/GSO! 

......I tried a TeleVue 8mm and the 6mm eye-relief was not comfortable in use. But since trying that EP,  I'm intrigued to test the Plossl range again, and this time chose the Revelation/GSO! 

The eye relief that is around 80% of the focal length and a ~50 degree field of view are a feature of the plossl design so it won't vary more than a tiny bit from brand to brand.  Using a barlow can help here though as they increase the eye relief of the eyepiece they are used with so an 8mm plossl used with a 2x barlow can have around 10mm of eye relief despite the effective focal length being just 4mm. :smiley:

Cheers John, we must be reading from  the same script? I was only reading again, over the weekend ( have done so before, but there's so much to learn AND forget in this hobby?)  about using a Barlow  and maintaining  the eye relief!

The TeleVue that was loaned to me by Ghostdance could have been more comfortable in use if Barlowed? . Will try this when I get a chance on my newest Plossl's. I'll need to re-read about the increase of eye-relief, I thought it just maintained. 

It's possible that you would have found the 8mm TV plossl a bit more comfortable if you had used it with a barlow but the rather inflexible rubber eye cup that TV use on it might still get in the say a bit. It's possibly the least comfortable Tele Vue eyepiece to use in all honesty !

:D

Not meaning to be contrary, but I think my 8mm TV plossl is fab!

I was worried about the eye relief on purchasing (£45 second hand) but have found it not to be an issue and as John says, it's also great with a barlow.

There go those horses on their courses again! 

Assuming you don't wear glasses to observe, I'd suggest a 15mm Plossl of some kind along with a 2x barlow. This will 'avoid' the magnifications you already have (presumed to be 25mm = 48x and 10mm = 120x) and provide 80x and 160x with the barlow. Pretty much any decent barlow will do at f6 but I'd recommend a used Televue for about £50-60 and a used Televue plossl at about £45-50. That said there are lots of options albeit my recommendation of focal length (15mm plus 2x barlow) stands whatever brand you go for.

Archived