Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 305mm Ultralight Dob - First Light Report...

Hi All,

I thought I'd post this here, as I've recently bought another SGL member's ES 305mm Dob, and it got first light the night before last.   I'm a long time visual person who's been 90% imaging for the last two years, and have taken this opportunity to get back into visual.  

Suffice to say I'm glad I did.  Also coupled it with my first experience of visual filters.  Wow!

Here's the report...

http://www.astrosite.co.uk/first-light-report-explore-scientific-305mm-ultralight-dobsonian-and-a-word-on-the-power-of-visual-filters/

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers!

Very interesting report Adam :smiley:

UHC and O-III filters can certainly make a significant different on some nebulae. Wait until you see the Veil Nebula with an O-III and your 12" dob later in the year :shocked:

The Owl Nebula (M97) is another where an O-III makes a really big difference :smiley:

Thanks all - much appreciated  :grin:

I'll be putting more up in the way of observing reports etc as I go on.  I'm currently trying out different eyepieces that have been kindly lent to me by members of my astro society, to get an idea of what's good for a reasonable price. 

I can't afford high-end EPs, but would like to upgrade from the mish-mash of stuff I have at the moment, especially now I have an aperture worth the effort :).  EPs are something I've never really invested much in - my most expensive are a TMB 4mm planetary and an 8mm BST Starguider.  i'm keeping my eyes open for the ES Maxvisions coming up on ABS etc, but they're quire rare as far as I've seen. Missed one the other day by an hour or so!

Cheers,

Adam

Archived