Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can I reuse dark and bias frames from another filter?

peroni

Hey

I'm taking narrowband images and concentrating on one filter per session. So...

session 1 (Ha) - light frames taken, then the next day I get the matching flat frames without detaching/moving the image train. The next evening I get matching darks and bias (evening so I don't get daylight leakage onto the sensor)

session 2 (OIII) - as above

session 3 (SII) - lights and flats taken. But it occurred to me that maybe I could reuse the darks and bias taken from session 1 and 2.

Can anyone confirm if my thoughts are correct. Can I reuse dark and bias frames taken when a different filter was in place? 

Yes it doesn't matter what filters are in place for dark and bias as there is no light to the chip. So long as you can match the temp fairly well with the darks you can take them whenever.

That's great thanks John. The temp is matched as I forgot to mention I'm using a CCD set at -10degs. This saves me spending another 4 hours getting some darks :-D

Archived