Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Main Valve Volt Meter

Tinker1947

I have been digging about in the Loft looking form some bread board, found them and also this  Hatronics VV-360 Volt/Ohm meter i did look inside it some 20 years back and it has a single valve, just a question it doesn't have a earth just the twin cable, so if i added the earth would it upset the instrument....The probe which i have screws on the front...Title should read " Mains Valve Volt Meter"   i have a Bench Multi Meter still to be found.......:)

japanesevalvemeter.jpg

Bit dodgy Tinker

I used to have a Heath Schlumberger VVM about thirty years ago, that was two wires as well, and very near killed me a couple of times.

The case was floating and not mains grounded to prevent ground loop pickup and required the ground side of the circuit under test to provide the earthing, one lead of the probe was connected to the ground of the equipment being tested, but it all went pear shaped if you accidentally connected the ground probe to a "hot" circuit and then lent across the meter and touched something that really was earthed!

I seem to remember it was only used for TV and Radio work as it had a very high input impedance, about 1 or 2 Meg ohm and allowed direct measurement in valve amps etc...those were the days...except for the dangers!

I would put in in the bin and buy a modern DVM, much safer....

William.

If you're desperate to be retro, dump this and get an Avo8! Mil spec one is still my favourite meter ... though somewhat impractical so barely used any more.

AndyG

Still got my dads Avometer somewhere.

Dave 

I'd keep it as a curio only - potentially a danger.  I got a monster shock once off an oscilloscope that was floating (it had to for the test) but in all the excitement I forgot its case would have a monster PD.......I soon remembered as about seven bazlillion (thats a technical term) volts went up my arm.

An observer told me afterwards he was sure my eyes lit up like in the last reel of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' :)

Thanks for the info one and all, its not going to get used, i think i brought it a radio rally 20-30 years back because it was cheap and would sit on a shelf and look nice, which is all its going to do now, i have a hand held DMM, and a Bench type yet to be found but i know its not in the loft.....:)

Found the other Bench Multi Meter , it a bit better quality than the Valve type, the rechargeable battiers look a bit sad so order 4 new Duracells to replace them and the Brand is Fluke so pretty happy about that its been stored for 15 year plus couple of photo's always help....

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0578.jpg

Used to have a Fluke Bench meter just like that plus an old AVO 8  but these days I just have my old trusty Fluke auto ranging multimeter  - cost a bomb when new but its been a faithful companion since about '84 and still going strong.

Archived