Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Winter Message

Qualia

Life can be a very sorry struggle. At times it will hit you hard and will try to break you down. And just as you're thinking things are looking up, life comes along again and smacks you down with ruthless indifference.

If life at times weren't bad enough, Winter too comes along. It shortens the days and the nights get longer and colder. The Winter brings its companions of cloud and rain and drives itself into your bones, saps at your energy and your motivation and leaves you feeling slightly down, knee deep in the blues.

You spend hundreds on astro stuff and at last, after waiting patiently for the clouds to role by, you now feel guilty because you don't fancy going out on that freezing cold Winter's night because you are exhausted from the week's work and the commitment you have had to your family and loved ones.

As the years drip by, your body aches, you shiver and you feel the cold that bit deeper. You look at your scope rather than looking through it and the guilt builds up.

But slow down!

All enthusiasms wax and wane, the magic comes and goes but you don't need a telescope to enjoy the night sky or astronomy. Indeed, a telescope could even destroy your enthusiam and cripple your love for astronomy.

When you go for a little stroll, sometimes you might have a goal, a destination to reach, but other times it is the the stroll itself which is important, not where you end up going. And the same should be said of astronomy. Again, is it really so important that you stroll for an hour or two, or just a few minutes? Of course it isn't and the same goes with astronomy.

If you have ever felt emotionally and intellectually connected when out under a clear night sky, if you have ever felt that deep yearning to learn and see more of the cosmos about us, but you feel this winter is getting a little too hard, don't equate that to not liking astronomy anymore. It's probably more an understandable position of not wanting to go out in the cold, not wanting to dress up for the freezing weather and lug out all that heavy gear.

If so, then forget the scope and from time to time head out for a brief 15 minutes or so and check out the position of the planets and the Moon. Make sure they're still there, doing their planet and moon thing. Trace the pattern of constellations. And if that isn't enough, try to name some of those stars you see. How many of us can actually do that? And when you start to feel the winter's cold, head back indoors and know you have had an excellent session.

If the clouds keep coming over, so be it. That's nature's way of saying you need a plan B; that you can't plug everything into stargazing. This is a good time to say, "No!" to stargazing and not feel guilty about it. Now you have more time to do something else you're interested in, to make yourself more a rounded person. Perhaps to read a book or magazine, watch some of those films you missed, or sleep and spend time with your loved ones. I don't know, but clouds are just that. They help distinguish between uneventful nights and those nights when you could head out and everything came together once again, and you were at last at peace with the universe.

Whatever happens, don't give in to these winter blues. Don't give up on this wonderful, spiritually and intellectually enlightening passtime.

What's gone wrong?

Wasn't it you saying about standing outside viewing at night at 10C in your T-shirt the middle of last week?

Just to help you snap out of it how much snow is forecast for you this week and will you be less then -4C with a good wind chill to be thrown in? Weather and so observing here is either the scope will be blown over and/or burried in snow. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quite empathize with all that you have said there Rob. 

The other night I took a short stroll with my binoculars and monopod to my allotment with a primary intention to look at the crescent moon. So I arrived at the shed, connected the binoculars to the monopod and hey presto the moon suddenly became swapped by a blanket of cloud. No matter it was nice to get out for a walk and experience the tranquility of my location for a handful of minutes. Everyone is used to being teased by the weather in this country, yet it only takes a minute to put the bino's back in the case and stroll back to the gate.

An excellent piece of writing, thank you.

I have had a hiatus in being able to get the telescope out because the circumstances & logistics are difficult.

This has been a very positive experience for me, as I have discovered that night-time starry walks and taking the binoculars out into the garden gives me the same sense of wonder as with a large aperture telescope.

The key to enjoying this hobby is to be more laid back about it; not to get too upset if there is a rare, clear night and you are exhausted.

Having a few tools of the trade (bins for that clear patch of sky, etc.) and having the adaptability; the right kit for the right night or whatever mood you are in, helps a lot!

I have stepped back from astro for a year or so - it was getting too intense for me so I quit for a bit.  Never lost the love of the night sky but it was time to move on and do something else for a bit.  I do sometimes feel guilty for having so much hardware that gets little use but then again it will still be there next year and so will the sky.

Nice one Rob.

I did wonder how you were going to pull it back there for a minute, whilst I was sobbing into my cuppa struggling to see the words through the tears and all the while hoping you were going to finish up by saying, "Fear not! Open invite to my Star Party in sunny Spain!"

Still waiting. ;)

Things must be bad.

I sometimes think that it is the fact that it is soooo rare that personal life + work + tiredness + weekend + no wind + no moon + no clouds + jetstream elseswhere + good seeing + right time of the year for an object... all come together:: that's a big part why some sessions are just so memorable. One thing that's certainly required is patience - and there's a beauty in knowing that non transitory things will come round again. I'll never see a transit of Venus - weather didn't play ball. Not the end of the world - at least I knew and I tried!

Thanks for the kind messages and sentiments.

I hope I haven't misled anyone, but the real impulse behind the post wasn't so much the terrible weather we're having in Spain - as if :p - but just that it really touched me to have read of folk who had either quit the hobby or were seriously thinking of chucking it in.

I felt really sad and in a sense wanted to make sense of this feeling and to say, "Look, it's okay. Things get bad, the weather can be awful and life at times can be really trying, but there's no reason to feel guilty about not observing and unless there is no kindling of love that remains, there's no need to throw in the towel."

I think as Astro-baby, Beulah, and Scarp have said, there is something really positive to be gained from stepping back, taking it a little easier or just having a break. Likewise, to remind ourselves that telescopes and eyepieces and all the other wizz-bang-gear isn't necessary to enjoy the night sky.

I also think it would be a great idea to have a star party in Spain :grin: If we could ever organise such a thing, I think it would be a very touching and memorable experience.

As this 'hobby / interest' has so many facets I find it strange that people actually say they are 'quitting' as though astronomy is akin to smoking!

Paul

I agree!

Astronomy is just something I will always be interested in. Even if I did sell my scopes for any reason, I would still look up and gaze on a clear night, or go and sit in the back garden with a pair of binos. It's just something I will always do, until physically incapable of doing it.

I agree!

Astronomy is just something I will always be interested in. Even if I did sell my scopes for any reason, I would still look up and gaze on a clear night, or go and sit in the back garden with a pair of binos. It's just something I will always do, until physically incapable of doing it.

Exactly. 

I only bought my first scope 5 years ago and since then have been 'scopeless' 3 times, the last period for 2 years. 

Some people may get caught in the 'Japanese Tourist' syndrome with astronomy and I am sure there are many out there. 

I also think that modern astro-photography  gives people unrealistic expectations as to what can be seen with the naked eye. 

This and the fact we can go for months with bad weather are probably the main causes for people quitting. 

I blame Damian Peach and Olly....  :wink:

To be quite honest, I fear DEATH - But mostly 'cos I have "So much to Do"!!! ;)

It is, after all, a bit definitive... and statistically (one heart attack down), likely.

Maybe I should stop watching "One Show" pessimists, and get on with LIFE? :)

I mostly do! I am mostly *happy* "in myself". I now try to ignore TV, newspapers...

Rich, healthy, young people telling me I'm going to die, unless I change my ways?

Not to mention those who think being "less than 100%" is deliberate and "evil". :o

A recent windfall (banking error!) has allowed me to complete my "astro kit". 

The postie has just delivered my daily fix... A re-purchased Baader Hyperion! lol

I can slow down... I can relax more? All I'm waiting for is a few clear skies...

Careful mentioning "spirituality" on hardcore science forums?  :eek: lol [teasing]

Like Monika Lewisinski, I guess I'm still (kinda) "spiritchool"... And despite? :D

</wibble>

Thanks for the kind messages and sentiments.

I felt really sad and in a sense wanted to make sense of this feeling and to say, "Look, it's okay. Things get bad, the weather can be awful and life at times can be really trying, but there's no reason to feel guilty about not observing and unless there is no kindling of love that remains, there's no need to throw in the towel."

I think as Astro-baby, Beulah, and Scarp have said, there is something really positive to be gained from stepping back, taking it a little easier or just having a break. Likewise, to remind ourselves that telescopes and eyepieces and all the other wizz-bang-gear isn't necessary to enjoy the night sky.

I also think it would be a great idea to have a star party in Spain :grin: If we could ever organise such a thing, I think it would be a very touching and memorable experience.

It's a tough one Rob, well it shouldn't be but inevitably it is something we do often come across and see or hear about for a number of reasons. I think the core of your message is the most important thing whether you are a new comer or a seasoned observer. There should be absolutely no reason to feel any pressure in this past time or at the least only put as much pressure on yourself as you need to and if it starts getting all too much then step back and slow down.

Normally this time of year I scale things back, I can't perceive any real reason for it(the cold maybe?) but I don't feel guilty about missing out on a clear night/day anymore.

The one thing the last couple of years has taught me is that you really do grow with the hobby(don't like that word) and by grow I don't mean having all the kit and being able to name more stars than the next person but I feel it grows to be a part of your life and it can be more rewarding than just bagging another comet or getting your best Jupiter type thing. It's a lot more wholesome than that and I do read with a touch of sadness that some people lose that feeling or maybe never get that far to begin with after all it has taken me a while to get there.

Don't get me wrong though I can also totally understand the frustrations and outside influences and as much as one would like they can't be easily ignored but perhaps it is best to put them to one side and step away from them for a while.

My vote goes for a Spanish star party too, I have no idea how to go about it but I'd happily help if possible.

I must admit to feeling that I was losing my "astro mojo" a while ago esp when it seemed I was the only one who hadn't seen Lovejoy! Eventually after I found it with the bins I was instantly recharged. I had previously dismissed using bins as mine are only 8x42 for birds etc. Having actually spent time with them now, esp on the comet, but Pleiades, double cluster etc. are in some ways better with bins.

I don't mind the cold, but like everyone else it's setting up just to have it cloud over is what can get so demoralising!

Now if it looks iffy I've been going out with the bins. Seems like I've opened up a new dimension.

As others have said, scope or not, if it's in your blood you will always be looking up at the night sky.

I must admit, I do feel for all you imagers out there. I was out with an imaging friend the other night, him with his EQ mount, scope, guidescope, laptop etc, me with my alt-az mounted 4".

After about the third episode of cursing, which followed him tripping over a cable and pulling the laptop off the table, I did thank him kindly for reminding me of all the reasons I am a purely visual observer :-)

No offense meant, I just know I don't have the patience and with my two left feet would always be tripping over something or other!!

Keeping it simple is the way I keep going, the comments about binos are bang on, very relaxing indeed.

EDIT: Just to balance this story up a bit, I saw lots of lovely objects including the comet. I managed to see the tail, largely with averted vision.

My friend captured some lovely images showing the green comet and a lovely tail way exceeding anything I had seen.

Archived