SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Oxidation of reflector mirrors

Hey folks

I heard at some places that reflectors' performance degrades as time goes on, due to the oxidation of the mirror. And I heard at other places that the mirror is over coated to prevent oxidation. I'm confused as to what the truth is!

If I happened to purchase a 8" skywatcher dob, is the oxidation of concern?

Hey folks

I heard at some places that reflectors' performance degrades as time goes on, due to the oxidation of the mirror. And I heard at other places that the mirror is over coated to prevent oxidation. I'm confused as to what the truth is!

If I happened to purchase a 8" skywatcher dob, is the oxidation of concern?

Both your points are actually true. The reflectivity of the mirrors will slowly decrease over time and (most) are overcoated to retard this process.

The Skywatcher mirrors seem to last well and I've yet to see one that looks like it needs re-coating. A couple that I've owned were over 5 years old. Orion Optics claim that their Hiliux coatings will last at least 25 years !

Archived