Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book: The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets

Macavity

Just bought myself a copy of: The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets by Ruben Kier

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-100-Best-Astrophotography-Targets/dp/1441906029

As a VIDEO (please note!) imager, I'm ever looking for inspiration re. target choice, and now engaged in a QUICK (year long?) "survey" to get a feel for good settings for imaging these. Basically, I'm taking 4min (100 x 2.56s integrated frames) videos to decide on best choice for focal length (telescope!), video camera settings, field framing, positioning of objects etc. ;)

Previously my targets have been selected from traditional VISUAL lists (Messier, Caldwell, O'Meara etc.) But, as is anecdotal, such may not be the most compelling *imaging* objects. Herschel was trying to "avoid" them, while looking for Comets. lol. Many "classical" imaging targets (diffuse nebulae etc.) are omitted from all of these (primarily visual) observing lists?

So, I like this book. Can someone else's choice of "100 Best" work? In this case it does seem to! You cannot go too far wrong including 48 Messier, 28 Caldwell, 13 O'Meara objects. But the "bonus" popular imaging targets are just that! Featured examples are from the Arp, Hickson, Sharpless and Barnard (Not always explored?) lists. A third of frames feature more than one object. 

The objects are nicely represented by clear pictures plus useful advice on "settings". They are ordered in right ascension (unlike Messier and Caldwell! lol). No exhaustive treatise on imaging technique (there are later chapters on this), but this is not the intent here. One of (v.many!) in the Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy series. A nice book format of [iMO] useful material. :)

At the price, well worth a look? Especially for those of us

forever making and re-making these observing lists! :p

I have this book too, my late wife bought it me for a xmas present.  I agree that it is an excellent book and gives some insight as to the data to collect for differing object types.  A few of the targets are a bit southerly for UK latitudes - for the Midlands at any rate - but these are the minority. Well worth buying.

Thanks folks... Glad *someone* else liked it - But I was genuinely impressed. :p

(OK, I meant Messier rather than Herschel in the above! Such is enthusiasm?)  :o

LISTS are fun tho'? I started with huge ambitions re. a "video astronomy diary".

Best effort (Messier+CaldWell+O'Meara): 40 objects "imaged" in ONE night... ;)

Recent progress is somewhat diminished. lol. But ever hoping for clear skies!  :)

Archived