Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Beverley

Newbie2stargazing

Hello from Beverley, East Yorkshire. I am a beginner and want to understand more about stargazing. I bought the Celestron 31153 Skyprodigy 130 Reflector Telescope because it's supposed to be easy for beginners like me.

I've only had 2 attempts so far and have failed miserably. :embarassed:

I followed the instructions, pressed the ALIGN button and it moves across the sky as if everything is going smoothly............but I haven't managed to get the 'Alignment Complete' message. I used the hand control to find the moon and it couldn't find it. :sad:

Realising that nothing was where it was supposed to be (the telescope wasn't aligned as it should be), I picked up the tripod and manually moved the telescope to get the moon in view. I saw the moon in my telescope and it was lovely......but I want my telescope to work as it should.

If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Beverley, welcome to the forum.  If you still cannot get it sorted see if there is a local astronomy club that may possible be able to help you.   I thought these 'Skyprodigy's' were supposed to do everything for you!  Just shows what misleading advertising does!

Hello and welcome. I lived in Beverley up until last summer when i moved down to Wiltshire :-). There is an astro club in Beverley. I visited it once. I think they meet weekly at the Friends Meeting house on Quaker lane. 

Hi Beverley, welcome to the forum.  If you still cannot get it sorted see if there is a local astronomy club that may possible be able to help you.   I thought these 'Skyprodigy's' were supposed to do everything for you!  Just shows what misleading advertising does!

Thanks for the advice. My name isn't Beverley.................I was saying Hello from Beverley (the town) in East Yorkshire.

I was hoping that someone in this forum might either have the same telescope or tell me if this problem has occurred before..............and how it was resolved.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience of your particular setup to be able to make any suitable suggestions. You might want to consider putting this question in the section entitled "Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice", you can find it here. More members are active on the forum in general than here in the welcome section and I'm sure you will have your setup up and running in no time at all.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi and welcome to SGL - There's s=loads of information on the forum and friendly folks too - I am sure that someone will be able to help you soon. Unfortunately I have no experience of your mount / scope. A good suggestion to go to a local astro group.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Welcome. I like Beverley and am slightly disgusted by the fact that old friends with a house near the saddlery have sold it and moved inland. They were so handy for the ferry from Hull!

More seriously you are not far from decent skies up there. I'd certainly check out the club.

Olly

I was going to do the "Hello beverley" bit and thought better of it, so hello and welcome to SGL, if you look on youtube there are plenty of vids showing how to set these mounts up, a lot of the time mistakes are made with date settings, they should be in American format i.e month/day/year

I was going to do the "Hello beverley" bit and thought better of it, so hello and welcome to SGL, if you look on youtube there are plenty of vids showing how to set these mounts up, a lot of the time mistakes are made with date settings, they should be in American format i.e month/day/year

Thanks for the suggestion, nightfisher. I have just checked and the date was correct at 1/25/15. The time was slightly out (by 4 minutes) so I've changed it. I'm assuming that such a slight time error won't be the reason for the problem?

Thanks for the advice. My name isn't Beverley.................I was saying Hello from Beverley (the town) in East Yorkshire.

I was hoping that someone in this forum might either have the same telescope or tell me if this problem has occurred before..............and how it was resolved.

Hi Newbie, sorry about that, I feel a right idiot now, but anyway created a laugh.  I do hope you find an answer!

Archived