Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heq5 Polar Setting Circle

Starlight 1

I tried adjusting the 3 little screws to centralise the polaris ring and it fell out.  So if possible I would like someone with an HEQ5 with the weight bar down

to have a look through the polar scope hole and tell me if the little circle for polaris is at the top or the bottom.  Much appreciated, thanks

I do not have an HEQ5, but as far as I am aware, it does not matter where the Polaris circle is in the polar scope in relation to the mount. What is necessary, is that the centre of the cross hairs of the polar scope, when fitted, stays on centre, when you turn the mount through 360°. this will be what your trying to achieve when the screen fell out. Replace it carefully and re-centre it following AB`s good advice. Polar transit point is achieved by turning the mount till the small circle lies at the 12.30 position this means as the view is inverted, Polaris is at the 12.00 position where it should be for you to complete the next stage HTH :)

As a bit of additional information you can set your transit position at any time of the day, just set to 9hours 15th December, this is a common re-occurring transit position, which has been the same for years past and a few years to come. Try it in the Polar Finder free program if you are unsure :)

Hi Starlight 1,

The actual position of the Polaris small circle is not really all that critical since you would rotate the RA axis to place it at the correct time anyway.

What is far more important is to fit the reticule the right way round.

Looking through the polarscope with the small polaris circle at the top the asterism for the plough should be top left with Andromeda at the bottom (slightly right)

when adjusting the screws for alignment/centering only use small movements on any screw (about 1/8th turn) before adjusting the other 2 to compensate... also be very carefull not to overtighten any of the screws or you will crack the reticule... :eek:  the screws bear on the extreme edge of the thin glass. :huh:

Hope this helps.

Take your time.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

I should add... on my HEQ5 the polaris circle is at approx 2pm position with the weights straight down.

Archived