Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing an SLR

I have a Skywatcher Skyhawker 1145p synscan goto telescope,Olivon eyepiece and filter set, collimating eyepiece, an Antares 1.25" combined T-mount camera adaptor/ eyepiece projection unit and a T-mount for Nikon SLR's. My question is how do you focus the image with the camera fitted and an eyepiece in the camera adaptor? Thanks!!!!

As you would the scope without the camera using the focussed on the scope.  You may find you run out of adjustment though and need an extension.  But EP projection tubes work quite well as extension tubes in themselves.  Does you camera have live view and a flip out LCD screen?  If not you are going to find it difficult to get your eye to the camera viewfinder to do through the camera focussing!  Make sure you practice on a bright object first such as the moon.

Why not try attaching the camera direct to the scope, with an extension tube to reach focus? The FOV will be larger but easier to manage, to start off with.

As you have an alt/az mount, DSO imaging will be limited as you need long exposures and you'll get field rotation, if you can get exposures long enough. The scope would be best for the Moon, planets and brighter DSOs like glob clusters. You could also have a go at M42, just to see what you can get. It's a nice fast scope though!

Good luck getting it sorted!

Alexxx

I was using a Nikon D80 just for astrophotos. I have a camera with live view, but it might be a bit heavy, but I'll give it ago. Thanks

For a time I was using a Nikon D800E FF.  It is much heavier than a D80 (a camera I have also owned).  So I don't think weight will be the issue.  The main difficulty you might have is that the D80 does not have Live View - if I recall correctly - am I right?  I think that will make focussing trickier.  

The other thing I have done is to get a Bahtinov mask.  For me, focussing by eye was a very hit-and-miss affair (mostly 'miss' it has to be said).  The Bahtinov has saved me loads of time for very little expense.  But I don't know how well (or indeed if) it will work without Live View.   

Sure it helps (as any other focusing mask). You just have to take a photo, zoom in, look if your in focus, rere-adjust focus, take a pic, zoom in, look, re-adjust and so on....takes a while but is possible

Sure it helps (as any other focusing mask). You just have to take a photo, zoom in, look if your in focus, rere-adjust focus, take a pic, zoom in, look, re-adjust and so on....takes a while but is possible

When I used it the first time there was nothing. Time to play and see what happens. Cheers

For a time I was using a Nikon D800E FF.  It is much heavier than a D80 (a camera I have also owned).  So I don't think weight will be the issue.  The main difficulty you might have is that the D80 does not have Live View - if I recall correctly - am I right?  I think that will make focussing trickier.  

The other thing I have done is to get a Bahtinov mask.  For me, focussing by eye was a very hit-and-miss affair (mostly 'miss' it has to be said).  The Bahtinov has saved me loads of time for very little expense.  But I don't know how well (or indeed if) it will work without Live View.   

Thanks Star forming, I have a D750 and a D4, I just thought they be a bit heavy. My D4 will be.

Archived