SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher CC with Baader Hyperion Zoom III

craigg

Hi All,

First post here:- hope this hasn't been asked before and I missed it searching

I have a skywatcher 200P and looking to buy the skywatcher coma corrector.  While this is mainly for DSLR imaging, I'll probably also use for visual.  I'm also interested in the Baader Hyperion Zoom lens which seems to get good reviews despite being a zoom.  Does anyone have any experience of using these two together?  The zoom lens has a 2" adapter, so wondering whether the CC can be used with that.  Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig.

Welcome to the forum :laugh: .

I can't speak for the coma corrector and zoom together, but I can say that the Hyperion Zoom is a superb piece of kit and well worth the money. Optically it's very close to the single Hyperion eyepieces, especially at mid-longer focal lengths and comes with useful accessories such as the 2" and 1.25" nosepieces.

cheers

Dave

Thanks both.  I've always thought zoom eyepieces were poor quality, but everyone seems to be saying this one is very good.  Quite expensive, but I do like the idea of not having to switch ep's and refocusing (much).  I also have the 2.25x barlow which I've been using with the DSLR, so effectively 8 ep's in one!!  F15rules, have you tried the barlow?  Interesting to know how the relief/FOV is with it attached.

Yes, I've used the baader Barlow which converts the zoom to a high power zoom. It works very well and if I recall correctly did not adversely affect eye relief or fov ( apart obviously from the effect that any high magnification has by closing in on an object).

As I use slow refractors I didn't need the Barlow much with the zoom as the long (F15) native fl of the scope didn't require it..but I used it quite a bit with other EPs and was very pleased with it.

HTH

Dave

Yes, I've used the baader Barlow which converts the zoom to a high power zoom. It works very well and if I recall correctly did not adversely affect eye relief or fov ( apart obviously from the effect that any high magnification has by closing in on an object).

As I use slow refractors I didn't need the Barlow much with the zoom as the long (F15) native fl of the scope didn't require it..but I used it quite a bit with other EPs and was very pleased with it.

HTH

Dave

Great, thanks for the reply Dave.  Running out of reasons not to buy one :-)

Archived