Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

synscan version 3.36 problems

spaceboy

I recently updated the firmware on my synscan handset to V3.36 and now I can't get the mount to slew to objects when it has been turned off. If I do star align it works fine but for some reason if I park in home position turn off the mount, when I come to use the mount again it will do everything but slew. Also once I have chose to slew to an object the HC just freezes and I have to turn the mount off.

My motor version is 02.02.00 do I have to update this also ?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an Austrian forum that is reporting the same - well I assume the same problem.

Translation is that it does not wake up right after Park.

Seems they may have created a bug when fixing the others.

Posts were dates 27 Dec 2014.

After Park what were you going to?

Part of the post reads that going to a star, not planet or moon, may be a workround (?? unsure ??).

Which could I suppose mean tha the bit that calculates the position is causeing the upset.

Sorry Ronin I was half asleep when I read your reply.

I set the mount us as you would and everything is fine until the mount has to slew. I can choose a named star or messier object and it makes no difference the hc just freezes with slew in the display. Press and hold escape and any assortment of buttons yet nothing. I just have to turn the hc off. When i turn it back on and go through it all again the only difference is that it displays a screen with ref to I assume polaris position? Again though get to actual slewing and everything is normal till the point I press enter to slew where it freezes.

I never had any problems before the update. The only reason why I did update is because I noticed pointing accuracy starts to become less and less accurate over several nights so figured being able to input elevation and cone error might help solve this. Although only elevation has been input so far.

I just wonder if the hc isn't communicating with the mount properly due to the motor firmwar not being updated? But as said if updating the mc doesn't help then I will have the hassle of trying to revert he firmware back on both hc and mc :(

Hi Spaceboy,

You would normally update both the handset and the motorboard drivers to be sure of compatability, however, there does seem to be a few irritating problems cropping up with the V3.36 handset version.

It is possible to revert the handset to an earlier version V3.27 from the following SW link: -

http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads.php?cat=4

Scroll down the page until you see it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Thanks Sandy. I think I am going to revert back to the older version if I'm honest as I don't do any serious imaging and being able to get looking at the stars with out hesitation is my main priority which the V3.36 just isn't allowing me to do that.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Hi Spaceboy,

this may sound like an odd question, but, what colour is the Serial to USB adapter you are using?  I ask because some people are finding that the flashing of the HC is not working well with certain adapters...green is the colour most quoted.

Thanks for your help guys but I reverted back to V3.27 earlier and I'll await a later version that has been tried and tested before I update again. Just got to try it out under clear skies to check it loaded OK and my goto is back to normal.

I reported a similar problem in another thread, and I also found a Belgian forum (!) which seemed to translate to the same probem. I think they said it had been reported to a Skywatcher dealer. Maybe FLO should be told? Basically 3.36 does not recover correctly from park - in my case it always slews to an alt-az of 360,0, unless you try to align, in which case it slews correctly to the alignment star (so it remembers it somewhere!)

NigelM

It is very odd as searching for a solution I came across people saying they had been running the new firmware for weeks and everything was fine and they had no problems to report but then there were those who are able to carry on from park position but are experiencing other problems. Add to that the problems I've had and it seems your better off sticking with the older version until skywatcher sort the kinks out.

I have a copy of almost all the skywatcher software going back about 5 years so if you get stuck send me a pm and I will email you a cooy over.

I too have firmware going back to 3.27 (with loaders) and am willing to email to anyone who wishes a copy...I will say cooy as well if you like?  Sorry Astro_Baby, could not resist!

I've noticed that when slewing to an object, it sometimes will take a long route in azimuth ie say 300deg as opposed to 60deg shortest and closest route, annoying as it takes up unnecessary route and time. This is on az eq6

>I've noticed that when slewing to an object, it sometimes will take a long route in azimuth ie say 300deg as opposed to 60deg shortest and closest route, annoying as it takes up >unnecessary route and time. This is on az eq6

Is this using EQ Mode? With v3.35, you would get very strange directional slews in AZ Mode. In one case it would start in the "long" direction as you mentioned but would end up doing a complete 360 and beyond flying past the object ad infinitum until you stopped it. I reported this to Skywatcher and it was corrected with v3.36. I have not noticed anything unusual yet in v3.36 but have not used the mount enough to see if any new problems have popped up. I usually reset the Home position before I start and redo the alignment as I often set up from scratch. Maybe that negates the issues others are experiencing who start from a saved park position. Using AZ Mode, I set Home (0 AZ, 0 Alt), then slew to the initial alignment star using "Named Star" or SAO# option (unfortunately, the Synscan HC does not automatically slew to the first alignment star if using AZ Mode), then start the two star alignment while sitting at or near the first alignment star.

JohnD

Here in the austrian Forum we have reported those slewing / goto bugs to our dealer (this sounds really odd.... :D) and he reported it to SW. As he states, SW Needs more detailed Information than "3.36 isn't working" :)

If you have those Problems, please send an email to [Retailer email address removed, please discuss details openly here in this thread] with the following questions answered:

1. For the issue of failing to resume from parking position.
Please let us know what the mount is.
Did the customer do the following?
1) Parked the mount.
2) Turned off the power.
3) Turned on the power, and chose “Start from parking”
4) Input correct date, time, etc on the hand control. Can the customer remember what date and time it was? Can the customer provide his location information to us?
5) Chose an object and started a GOTO. Can the customer remember what object it was?
6) Can the customer remember whether the position readings on the hand control still kept changing when the mount lost control?
7) After turning off the power and turning on it again, did the mount work normally again?
8 Did the customer try another Park-Resume routine afer this failure?

2. For the issue of “Suddently slews to exterme South”
Can the customer provide the following?
1) What is the mount.
2) Date, time and location informations.
3) How did this happen? Is it during a GOTO operation, or during a tracking? What was the object that the mount is slewing to(for GOTO operation) or tracking?
4) When the mount lost control, did the hand control show the position readings? Were the readings still keep changing?

This would really help killing those bugs.

CS

Thomas

It seems ridiculous that Synta/Skywatcher/Orion, put this Firmware upgrade out there without doing extensive tests themselves.  Surly such a common problem as the scope not slewing from a park position should have been noticed.

If not why has there been no fix yet by them?  It is not as if this problem has not been mentioned for the last two months!

Here in the austrian Forum we have reported those slewing / goto bugs to our dealer (this sounds really odd.... :D) and he reported it to SW. As he states, SW Needs more detailed Information than "3.36 isn't working" :)

If you have those Problems, please send an email to [removed retailer email address] with the following questions answered:

That isn't how we do things here in the UK, we encourage open forum discussion.

If there is a bug in Skywatcher's firmware please discuss it openly here in this thread. There is no better way of understanding the problem. If Skywatcher or one of their retailers wants info and feedback they can find it here. 

I didn't intend to post something against the rules (sorry if I did).

An open discussion is good and very useful for finding Errors/bugs, but nonetheless I think an extra mail directly to whoever manufactured a device is also the way to go. Two are better than one.

I never had issues with my NEQ6 after the update, everythings working as intended

I didn't intend to post something against the rules (sorry if I did).

An open discussion is good and very useful for finding Errors/bugs, but nonetheless I think an extra mail directly to whoever manufactured a device is also the way to go. Two are better than one.

You haven't broken any rules  :police:

The email link you posted was not to the manufacturer, it was to an Austrian retailer. In our experience retailers often offer to handle problems via email with the implied agreement discussion is taken offline. Better we think to compare our experiences openly on the forum, that is why we removed your retailer's 'offer of assistance'. 

Archived