SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Messier Milestone

Paul73

I was up early to catch the Jupiter treble transit (failed) and noticed that the southern horizon was clearish. So went hunting for the elusive M83. 15 months after getting my first scope and embarking on the Mr Messier's wonderfull tour across the heavens, this was the only unseen Messier object.

M83 is bright eliptical Galaxy tucked in low under Hydra at about an elevation of about 8°. After getting my bearings with the binos, the star hop from Pi Hydra was pretty straight forward with two straight chains of Mag 10-11 stars showing the way from the nearest bright star. The Galaxy itself had a bright little, almost stellar, core and a faint halo which became pretty clear with averted viewing.

I was dead chuffed to have completed the list with this little gem.

There followed a victory lap of the garden and a few minutes with the Smbrero Galaxy (M104) just above Corvus. The bulging core and big dust lane was clearly on show. One of my favourites!

The triple transit wasn't such a success. I'm unlikely to catch it next time round but reckon that I can live with that. I enjoyed a nice double shadow transit until poor seeing stopped play.

Paul

Nice one Paul I'm yet to grab this one myself. It has eluded me for years due to its altitude. One day........

I saw this in oz but my neck was getting sore with it being so close to the zenith  :evil: . Sorry Steve mwahaha

Thanks guys. I have to admit that M6&7 were from France but the rest were all from the back garden.

The Messier list was a great intro for a complete newbie like me as it took me to every part of the sky and made me learn about a huge range of DSOs.

On with the never ending hunt!

Paul

I must admit that my M6 and M7 were seen from Spain. I cannot see them from Hereford or my horizon.

Paul after Messier I went for the Caldwell objects. However, in hindsight I think the Herschel 400 was a more enjoyable experience.

Good viewing with your next list.

Yes. Herschel 400 is underway. Certainly more dificult than a lot of the Messiers, but I am enjoying the challenge and getting to appreciate the faint open clusters.

Paul

Congratulations on completing the M-list. Those last few are not easy from Northern latitudes.

Still have a handful to go myself!

Martin

6&7 are doable given the right horizen and sky. Andy WB has bagged both from just down the road from me.

I'll keep trying this summer.

Paul

Archived