SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which if any of these would fit my 70mm Travelscope.

LukeSkywatcher

Just measure the diameter right at the front of your scope, where you would screw on the filter, and you have it.

If you call FLO that's what they'll ask you to do - so best do it first ... Whether or not you call.

Edit: Sorry, Paul, I see what you mean, now - they may all be too big is what you're thinking, I guess.

In which case, phone or email FLO. But supply the diameter measurement.

I would say none of them without a bit of DIY.

I am sure I have seen solar filters for scopes as low as 60mm. Try 365astronomy :smiley: Have you considered a Hershel wedge ?

I'd never considered one before because i'd only read the name but never understood what they are until about 30 seconds ago. I bet they are expensive?. 

Any links to as to where to buy (cheapishly) would be great. 

Luke,

I bought mine from APM as it goes.

There is an additional cost to think about as you need a polarising filter to screw into your eyepiece, also make sure the ND3.0 filter is included and fitted as without one you will do permanent harm to your eyes.

Check that your scope is compatible with the wedge, they are designed solely to work in refractors .......and not all of them I believe.

Now there is quite a cost difference from where you started , so ask yourself one question " is it worth for what you want" ? Personally I prefer the wedge to solar film, but then again I am into solar observing in a big way, and I must have the kit to be able to see as much detail as is earthly possible :-)

Luke,

I bought mine from APM as it goes.

There is an additional cost to think about as you need a polarising filter to screw into your eyepiece, also make sure the ND3.0 filter is included and fitted as without one you will do permanent harm to your eyes.

Check that your scope is compatible with the wedge, they are designed solely to work in refractors .......and not all of them I believe.

Now there is quite a cost difference from where you started , so ask yourself one question " is it worth for what you want" ? Personally I prefer the wedge to solar film, but then again I am into solar observing in a big way, and I must have the kit to be able to see as much detail as is earthly possible :-)

Now you have me worried. I just bought the one above. There was no mention of needing a polarising filter and no mention of needing a ND3.0 filter. 

Have i just pee'd the guts of 200 quid up against the wall?.

This is the product info:

APM Telescope developed in cooperation with Lunt solarsystems a new generation Herschelwedge for highest resolution white light solarobserving.

The mechanical housing is completely closed that the risk of burning your hand or clothes is fully removed. Only 5% of the solarlight is passing towards the eyepiece. After the first prism there is a dark grey neutral density filter 1.25" ND3.0 (1/1000) which blocks most of the 5% light with any risk of cracking. Inbetween the ND 3.0 filter and the eyepiece we recommend to use a Top-Pol Filter . By rotating the Top Polfilter (screwed into the eyepiece barrel) you can fine adjust the brightness infinitely variable due to the polarisation of the prism from photographic brightness to pure visual brightness .

APM Telescopes recommend for this very high quality herschelwedge the best filters we know, BW-Schneider Kreuznach/Germany. Your APM Herschwelwedge is delivered in a high quality alubox.

It mentions that there is an ND3 filter in the optical train. I might stil need a polarising filter?. Is a polarising filter needed for imaging or visual, or both.

The description in the product info above reads the same as what mine read, so all looks fine :-) Yes ..... you will need a polarising filter to calm things down a little as it is too bright without one.

Congratulations .... all you have to do is wait for the postman now :-)

The description in the product info above reads the same as what mine read, so all looks fine :-) Yes ..... you will need a polarising filter to calm things down a little as it is too bright without one.

Congratulations .... all you have to do is wait for the postman now :-)

So technically i wont really need a polarising filter to observe the Sun because it basically does the same as a Moon filter (take the glare away)?. But other then that the hershel wedge will be safe to use on my 70mm refractor?

I do have a Moon filter.............would that work as a polarising solar filter?.

Yes, for the glare, the polarising filter you need is the variable type "Top-Pol" filter it says in the add above, where as a moon filter is fixed

Your Scope.....I do not see any reason why it wouldn't, but its best you give APM a call to make sure ... :-)

Luke, I've only just come across this thread since replying and hope I'm not too late on the current developments.

The Baader Solar film is cheap in relative terms, but offers very good white light viewing experience and can be used on all types of scopes.

The Herschel Wedge is only suitable for fracs. No other scope will do. And the ND 3.0 filter is necessary - it is not an optional choice as far as I'm aware. Buying a polarising filter to varying the remaining light output is optional, so too a Continuum filter. But NOT the ND 3.

I use Lunt's 1.25" Herschel Wedge and the views are outstanding. Typically, I observe around 50x in both the 3" and 4" but so long as the seeing is steady, I can push this power if I need to tweak more detail from a given sunspot.

Whether you consider solar film or Herschel Wedge, you might want to consider a Baader Continum filter which I feel helps augment contrast and detail. For a good year, or so, I simply used a blue and yellow colour filter to get that green effect (or #58 filter) and Baader solar film :p Super cheap and with good results. However, I did notice a significant improvement when I eventually switched to the Lunt Wedge.

Again, the ND 3.0 filter is necessary. The Continuum augments detail and a polarising filter helps adjust the brightness of the view by rotating the eyepiece. Whether you feel this image quality is worth forking out so much more I cannot say. But the views are spectacular. Good crisp detail often showing different solar white tones in the umbra, granulation is nearly always apparent and faculae bright and twisting. In short, a visual experience equal to or better than the white light images you see in the solar section.

Luke, I've only just come across this thread since replying and hope I'm not too late on the current developments.

The Baader Solar film is cheap in relative terms, but offers very good white light viewing experience and can be used on all types of scopes.

The Herschel Wedge is only suitable for fracs. No other scope will do. And the ND 3.0 filter is necessary - it is not an optional choice as far as I'm aware. Buying a polarising filter to varying the remaining light output is optional, so too a Continuum filter. But NOT the ND 3.

I use Lunt's 1.25" Herschel Wedge and the views are outstanding. Typically, I observe around 50x in both the 3" and 4" but so long as the seeing is steady, I can push this power if I need to tweak more detail from a given sunspot.

Whether you consider solar film or Herschel Wedge, you might want to consider a Baader Continum filter which I feel helps augment contrast and detail. For a good year, or so, I simply used a blue and yellow colour filter to get that green effect (or #58 filter) and Baader solar film :p Super cheap and with good results. However, I did notice a significant improvement when I eventually switched to the Lunt Wedge.

Again, the ND 3.0 filter is necessary. The Continuum augments detail and a polarising filter helps adjust the brightness of the view by rotating the eyepiece. Whether you feel this image quality is worth forking out so much more I cannot say. But the views are spectacular. Good crisp detail often showing different solar white tones in the umbra, granulation is nearly always apparent and faculae bright and twisting. In short, a visual experience equal to or better than the white light images you see in the solar section.

I know what you mean about the ND3.0 being essential but the product info does state:

After the first prism there is a dark grey neutral density filter 1.25" ND3.0 (1/1000) which blocks most of the 5% light with any risk of cracking

I will try the wedge without a polarising filter first because the ND3.0 is the most important part that stops you being blinded. If i find the views uncomfortable, i will certainly invest in a polarising filter.

I know solar film is cheap but effective but i simply am not a hands on kind of guy and i have made solar filters in the past and they fell apart quickly.

I am not going to take any chances with my eyesight thats for sure but from the specs of the Hershel wedge i have bought, the ND3.0 filter is included in the optical train.

I only plan to use the wedge with my 70mm frac.

p.s.~~~after a bit of thought, i now think that a Moon filter will not be the same as a polarising filter to cut down on the glare, so that idea is out the window. Sunglasses should do the job.

LOL.

Ive emailed the company i bought from and asked them to verify if there is an ND3.0 filter included in or with the wedge i have bought. By all accounts from reading the site and looking at the images of how it comes, i can only that there is. If not, then i guess i'll just have to place another order for one and maybe a polarising filter also. One image does show two filter cases included in the box the wedge comes in, so hopefully no more expense needed. It should arrive tomorrow or monday so i'll let you know.

Here's a thread dating back to 2013. It is a discussion about the very same HW i have bought and i'm pretty sure the guy who bought it states clearly that the wedge comes with a ND 3.0 filter and also a polarising filter. If you look at the image of the case it comes in there are two filter cases included in the case. I'm sure they dont just put them there for when you decide to buy both filters. 

Technically speaking a solar wedge without an ND filter supplied is more or less just a star diagonal/prism and they dont sell for the cost that the HW costs (maybe some do).

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184150-apm-125-herschel-wedge/

Archived